compact mixer for international travel?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

compact mixer for international travel?

Post by xpander » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:58 am

i'm doing a lot of international travel these days & want something along the lines of Mackie's 1202 compact mixer but that can handle a broad 110v-220v 50/60Hz input the way a lot of equipment can these days (laptops, for example). basically, i don't want to use a travel voltage converter because those do not seem to work clean enough for audio in my experience.

suggestions & tips would be appreciated!

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Re: compact mixer for international travel?

Post by Yekuku » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:06 pm

I dont know if this helps, but it saved me most of the times.
I use a Motu 828mk2 as a standalone mixer for my traveling needs. Actually sometimes I use 2 of them.
It provides 10 inputs ( 8 line + 2 XLR with preamp) which are not far from the mackie specs.
It can be switched from 110 to 220v using a switch at the side panel.
Using only one pot for adjusting input levels and main out is certainly an issue compared to the faders/pots section that all mixers have, but since I use it with my synths which have a predefined-fixed level most of the time, it is not a big problem for me.
Also there is no eq in the channel strip, but this is where a Motu 828mk3 might come in handy.
I hope this helps.
It is all about sharing...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:58 pm

The VLZ3 1202 has a switch to change the voltage between 100, 120 and 220V. Sounds like exactly what you want. If you want one that you don't have to switch yourself check out the Onyx 1220i.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:13 pm

oh- i didn't realize the new 1202 had that switch, the "power consumption" on the spec sheet makes no reference to it. from the manual: "The switch allows you to use the mixer in different countries and voltages, meet interesting people from other cultures, and entertain them with your unique blend of Rockabilly Funkadelia Thrash Metal." the onyx is probably more ideal (you don't need to switch the fuse for different voltages) but it's larger than i'd like.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 am

fruition.

maiden voyage for my mackie 1202-vlz3. you also have to switch the fuse to run it in 220v but not a big deal as long as you remember. earlier today i bought a native grounded IEC/C13 to korean-style power cable in yongsan-gu seoul, korea- purely native setup now.