Computerless live rig

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
steampoweredsequencer
Gear: Two canes for walking, indestructible contact microphone, tetsuo implants, half broken nord lead, two weirdo guitars,

Computerless live rig

Post by steampoweredsequencer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:42 am

Due to some serious computer issues over the course of my last few performances, I am contemplating an all hardware live setup. With frugality in mind, the only requirements are the ability to send 1 channel of midi to a dimmer pack for my lighting rig and the ability to import midi files via usb or floppy or sysex or some witchcraft.

I will already be using an Alesis Micron and a Moog MG-1. Any hardware would be in addition to these. I am mostly looking at ways to play backing tracks and have midi to sequence the lighting.

How would you solve this problem with hardware?
Recommendations and warnings are all welcome.
Not performing live is NOT an option.
Hiring musicians is out of the question too.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Computerless live rig

Post by th0mas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:35 am

I've performed live with an MPC1000 and it worked well as a MIDI sequencer and drum sequencer. But I think it'd be quite a bit overpowered if you just need MIDI sequencing.. One of the old roland sequencers would do the trick I think but it might be very hard to find a working floppy drive / floppy disks. MC-50 I think the model # was? maybe you can get a "floppy->USB" converter? I think they exist for some models.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:53 am

Alesis mmt8?

Honestly I think the mpc series is the most solid for live performance and offers the most for your money, they're selling really cheap too these days. I think it would give you a lot better control over the music, though the mmt8 is nice for live track muting it's an older less reliable machine.
for sale/trade: EML-101

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:14 am

I know this is Vintage Synth Explorer and you never mentioned money, but the Juno Stage might fit the bill. It can play MIDI files. And AIF, WAV, MP3 - all from a flash drive. Of course, it has MIDI jacks too. I use mine for live purposes exactly like this.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:06 pm

you should use a MPC with two MIDI outs or a EMU command station. Yamaha RS7000 as a main brain sequencer is also a good option.

Both are plenty of satisfactory functions to be make them able to control several machines on a live act, without having to use a computer.

Centrlaize the sequences on any of them, using their internal sounds and also having only EXT MIDI sequences.

With the pattern map, create logical sequences of harmonies that would perform a song on all the gear.

I have been using and trying to improve this process during years.

The only synth that I CANNOT REPLACE on my live setup, is a $350 command station.....

They are so, so handy for live performance. You can have 32 tracks playing at the same time, controlling 2 machiners and also sending MIDI clock to "sub-sequencers".

In fact, you can have a very good control of four synths, with only one command station. Using the command station as the holder of the sequences and BPM, 2 synths as sound modules controlled and performed with the command station, and 2 synths with their own sequences, but TEMPO SLAVED to the command station.

I don't miss computers with this handy setup. In fact, I never needed them....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 pm

In a similar vein, what does everyone use for samplers when going computerless?

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:42 pm

I only ever perform live and computerless, and I usually use a pair of Alesis MMT-8 sequencers and an E-Mu ESI-4000 for samples.

That particular setup has never let me down, so I'm more than happy to recommend it!

(BTW - I do also use Roland Grooveboxes, but they're mostly unsuitable for your needs, although the MC-808 could do all of the above, too)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:02 am

EmptySet wrote:In a similar vein, what does everyone use for samplers when going computerless?

What???? :shock:

instead computers, we use hardware samplers.

Hardware samplers are not a thing from the past.

In this live setup, I'm using three hardware samplers and a sequencer XL7. Audio sucks, this is for video illustration of a live act with no computer, no mixer, no audio streams.

Pure hardware
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by EmptySet » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:58 am

balma wrote:
EmptySet wrote:In a similar vein, what does everyone use for samplers when going computerless?
What???? :shock:
The reason I ask… the later the sampler you get, the better the specs (especially RE: load times for playing live). But, the later you look, the fewer the number of samplers are available. I lived through the era of floppy disk samplers and I can't do that again. :-) Just curious what people use these days, since the laptop has taken over so much of the sampler space. I don't care for gigging with my laptop, so I'm looking for a way to ditch my computer and using a sampler again… but only if it's not going to be as painful to use live as it was in the late 80s and early 90s.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm

balma, what's that thing on your far left, the one with a 4x4 grid of light?

by looking at you, that's exacly why i love hardware.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:18 pm

the same one at the right. I use on that live act two Roland SAMPLERS SP 808 ex.

those were two hours, after them I was totally exhausted, I saw blinking yellow/red/green lights everywhere.

Absolutely agree with your hardware sampler availability these days.

What it seems really, really stupid to me of this situation, is that there is people with $$$ on his hand, looking for decent modern samplers that are not a software or a soundcard on a PC, but there is no offer to satisfy them.

Actually, samplers are musical instruments, but it seems that the industry sees the sampler as a graphic of a waveform on a 24 lcd flatscreen,.

I work mainly with samplers. I found a comfortable place, with several samplers of different ages and designs:

V synth, Roland SP series, Korg electribe series, yamaha A series. those have been my samplers.

The two SP808ex that I'm using there, are rare. That's surprising for me. Nobody talks about them, they are unknown. You hear a lot of the SP505, SP404, Boss. But the biggest of them, the 808ex, is far underrated.

They use ZIP disks. On each one of them, I have access to 64 banks of 16 blinking pads each one.

Obviously I don't have the 1024 sample locations full on each one.

But I have, on each one of my hands, around 400 samples to pick, in any moment of the live act, I can reach one of them.

And if its a beat sample, I do not trigger it manually since it could mismatch the kick of the current beat, so I trigger it quantized from the orange box, the command station.

On each bank, first row is voices, second row is sfx sounds, third row, sequences without kick, fourth row, sequences with kick.

So followin that scheme, I build a song on the fly. That live act is improvisation.

You can do it with samplers man. It takes some time to build a concept, to self-organize, to find their best implementation, despite there is a lack of samplers and a nonsense concept that they are gonna dissappear (f**k it) there is a lot to do with actual ones.
I will never replace that satisfactory feeling of being able to improvise, for a wave spectrum walking on a monitor

leonidspaul
Gear: M1, Alpha Juno 1, Juno 106, TR606, 707, Poly 800, Poly 800II, SH09, MAM MB 33, Midas Venice 320...

Post by leonidspaul » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:09 am

Balma, that video for me is how a "live" act should be when an artist is down on a poster to play a live act. Sure beats the s**t out of watching someone leaning their chin on their hand and not moving form the same spot for an hour. Nice one, well done. Sounded kicking as well!