BEST CONFIGURATION TO HOOK UP GEAR...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
E BASS

BEST CONFIGURATION TO HOOK UP GEAR...

Post by E BASS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello all,

I have the following equipment which I want to use for production and in a future live act.
I am trying to figure out the best way to hook it all up, my main focus is taking advantage of MIDI (which I am trying to learn and understand, but at the moment don't have much of a clue only the basics)

MacPro w/Ableton Live 7
AKAI MPC40 (Ableton Midi Controller)
V-STUDIO 100 (USB Audio Interface/Digital Mixer with MIDI IN/OUT
Virus Ti Polay (MIDI IN/OUT/THRU)
MC909 (MIDI IN/OUT)
Elektron MKII (MIDI IN/OUT/THRU)

Thank you kindly for taking your time to read and helping out.

Edgar

chrisrnps

Re: BEST CONFIGURATION TO HOOK UP GEAR...

Post by chrisrnps » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:36 pm

Get a "primer" book on MIDI first, and spend a week reading it cover-to-cover. Then you'll know how and why to hook things up in a particular way. If you just get somebody to tell you what plugs to put in what jacks, you'll be lost if a cable comes unplugged or you need to move your equipment!

Does the "V-Studio 100" have only one MIDI IN and one MIDI OUT jack?

Technically you can "chain" a bunch of things to one MIDI in / out, but it would be better if you could find a 4 in, 4 out (or 8 in, 8 out, so you have room to add more gear later) MIDI interface so each of your four MIDI devices can have its own dedicated MIDI i/o. This will allow you to use editor/librarian software on your computer to address each unit separately so you can edit and back up your synth presets, let you send MIDI notes, clock, and sequence data from any of your pieces to any other piece, improve MIDI timing and give you fewer errors and drop outs, and other benefits, compared to trying to "daisy chain" everything from one MIDI in and out of the "V-Studio" box.

APC40 MIDI OUT -> MIDI interface IN 1
APC40 MIDI IN (if it has one?) -> MIDI interface OUT 1

Virus MIDI OUT -> MIDI interface IN 2
Virus MIDI IN -> MIDI interface OUT 2

MC909 MIDI OUT -> MIDI interface IN 3
MC909 MIDI IN -> MIDI interface OUT 3

etc...

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:06 am

Yes. Get http://www.motu.com/products/midi/128 and forget about daisy chaining. More than 3 devices and you'll want to rip your hairs out.

With this, you only have to connect the MOTU OUT to the device IN if you want to control it, and the device's OUT to the MOTU IN if you want to use it as controller. Connect the APC using USB, otherwise you won't get bidirectional communication.

Remember:

- MIDI is not audio
- MIDI goes OUT of the synth IN to the computer, so don't connect the wires incorrectly.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:55 am

The Virus, APC40 and V-Studio all have midi over usb so there's no need for a separate interface. The only things that need to be attached with midi cables are the Elektron and the MC-909.

E BASS

Post by E BASS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:17 pm

ok so let's see here:

I connected MC909 as master MIDI OUT to Virus Ti (if I play e.g an Arp its bpms are controlled by the bpm on the MC909, so I can play a drum pattern on MC909 and add sounds from Virus perfectly on time)
the MIDI THRU out from Virus to Elektron MKII MIDI IN (Elektron as sig external seq)
so when I hit play on the MC909 the Elektron starts playing also on perfect timing. I can switch patterns on Elektron and on the fly it switches and stays on beat.
Then MIDI OUT to V-Studio 100 (Audio/MIDI interface)

Now so far so good everything on time.

I open ableton then the Virus no longer works on the MIDI timing coming from MC909. It seams like at this point because it is also USB connected Ableton takes over Virus.
Do I disconnect USB cable from Virus to pc?
or
Do I disconnect MIDI cable coming from MC909 to Virus and use Virus only on USB?

Now, If I make Ableton as master then go MIDI OUT from V-Studio to MC909 MIDI IN (make MC909 slave), then send MIDI OUT to Elektron also as slave. Does that make more sense?

I was looking into getting the MOTU Micro Express but there is a problem with manufacturing so they are not available 'till MArch 2010. I dont want to wait that long so I am trying to make this work!!!

Thank You all for your time and effort!!!!

Cheers

E BASS

chrisrnps

Post by chrisrnps » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:35 pm

E BASS wrote:I open ableton then the Virus no longer works on the MIDI timing coming from MC909. It seams like at this point because it is also USB connected Ableton takes over Virus.
Do I disconnect USB cable from Virus to pc?
or
Do I disconnect MIDI cable coming from MC909 to Virus and use Virus only on USB?
Can't you just leave it as-is and have Ableton Live assigned to send its "MIDI Clock" to the Virus?

E BASS

Post by E BASS » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:49 pm

Ok, you guys I want to thank you all!!!!

I got it working for now MIDI synced.

Ableton as Master MIDI OUT from V-Studio Audio interface to
MIDI IN MC909 (slave) then
MIDI OUT to Elektron MKII
Virus Ti Polar connected via USB.

When Ableton is running I can "Play", "Stop" using APC40 Controller.

This starts MC909 & Elektron, and they play in sync. Now I can start with my production with the 2 groove boxes and Ableton takes care of Virus timing as well.

Is all finally working in harmony.

I can't wait to get home!!!!!!!!!!
Many many thanks yous to all that took the time and effort to help out.

E BASS