Poly 800 II won't power on!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Poly 800 II won't power on!

Post by translucencecs » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I have a Korg Poly 800 Mark II that will not power on (properly), either when powered by batteries or PSU.

An audible pop (from speakers/phones) can be heard when clicking the power switch to the on or off position but no other sounds are made and the LED display does not light up. The synth is otherwise in very good condition overall.

Consequently I'm considering attempting a repair, but am not really certain what the most likely cause of the fault is - I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron and have some background in electronics, albeit rather lost to the mists of time...

Is anyone familiar with this particular fault? Anyone know where I may be able to obtain a service manual? I can find them for the Mark 1 Poly 800, but not the Mark 2...

I appreciate that without looking at the keyboard nobody's likely to be able to offer any accurate diagnoses, but I'd be very grateful for any information or advice that anyone could offer!

kurtz
Gear: Kurzweil K2Vx

Re: Poly 800 II won't power on!

Post by kurtz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but here's an idea, both power sources (batteries or PSU/Transformer) end up in some capacitor of some sort, it could be something as simple as a bad capacitor that is unable to sustain the charge, which is why you hear the audible pop from the speaker. I wouldn't attempt to repair it myself though.

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Re: Poly 800 II won't power on!

Post by translucencecs » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:31 am

Hmmm... I'll look. The thing is, the best quote I have for the repair professionally is £150, and I could buy a working Poly for that..!