Minimoog keytops have play in them...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
WhinyLittleRunt

Minimoog keytops have play in them...

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Not sure how to word that.

You know how on a Pratt Read assembly, the keytops slip in from the front and then screw down in the back? I've never had an issue with keytops not fitting tight around the metal arms but on the Mini in the studio I am trying to figure out why a few keys have this "play" in them. I tried to fix this issue before with little slivers of paper to act as a wedge so that the keytop would fit snug to the arm but I'm noticing this isn't exactly resolving the problem completely. I haven't thought much about the actual arms being bent in any way but I can't imagine that being the case as I've had it apart at one point and they were in very good shape physically.

I would think that using some kind of shim (paper or likewise) would solve the issue but I'm baffled as to why this is happening in the first place... You can feel the play in the front of the key so as you're playing a note you get that plastic "click" as if the key is loose. It's not an emergency, just annoying when you're playing it for a while and it just feels weird.
I like vintage synths....

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: Minimoog keytops have play in them...

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:05 pm

If you remove a key top you will see at the front on the metal arm a thin bit of metal pointing forward. It is easy to bend and should be straight as this actualy slots into the plastic key. The black keys are very prown to this problem and if not seated correctly will look higher than the others. If its not that causing it make sure the rubber "bell cap" which is under the metal arm has not come out of place. These are pretty much the only 2 things to cause that problem

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:12 am

Yeah, I had actually asked Kevin Lightner of Synthfool this same question and he pretty much said exactly that. In fact, in the beginning of the year I actually had to order some bell caps from him (which he was low in stock of) because whoever replaced the bushings the first time around lost two of them...

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:41 am

Just an update to the key problem and my fix...

The actual opening in the key over the years must have gotten enlarged, because when swapped with a different key the problem went away. So what I did was use a small strip of tape to create a cushion over the end of the metal arm and when I reinstalled the key, the problem went away.

i made sure the tape wrapped around the end so when the key cap was reinstalled, the arm was cushioned on both sides.
Hard to tell, sorry... but you can see the thickness of the one I repaired....

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 am

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:Yeah, I had actually asked Kevin Lightner of Synthfool this same question and he pretty much said exactly that. In fact, in the beginning of the year I actually had to order some bell caps from him (which he was low in stock of) because whoever replaced the bushings the first time around lost two of them...
btw, the pratt-read keyboards are common in old organs. you can find parts for cheaps at organservice.com.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm

xpander wrote:
WhinyLittleRunt wrote:Yeah, I had actually asked Kevin Lightner of Synthfool this same question and he pretty much said exactly that. In fact, in the beginning of the year I actually had to order some bell caps from him (which he was low in stock of) because whoever replaced the bushings the first time around lost two of them...
btw, the pratt-read keyboards are common in old organs. you can find parts for cheaps at organservice.com.
Well I specifically remember having a h**l of a time trying to find the bell caps even through them. I ended up lucking out with Synthfool having a few left over...