Casio CZ-101 AC Power

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
PLP
Gear: OB-8, DSI Tempest, Virus TI2, Korg VolcaBass, Nord Lead 2X

Casio CZ-101 AC Power

Post by PLP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:57 pm

I found this Casio AD-5 but it doesn't list the CZ-101. Any suggestions or any one have one of these for sale?

In Chicago

cheers
Not your typical Dj http://www.djpuzzle.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Casio CZ-101 AC Power

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:53 pm

A generic regulated "wall wart" power supply will do fine, one that looks like this:

Just check the volage and current rating in the manual. From memory it's 9 volt 500mA, but I might be wrong. The polarity will need to be reversible on the power supply. Set it to the polarity that works! You won't damage the CZ doing that, there's a protection diode in the circuit.

PLP

Post by PLP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 pm

I found an adjustable wall wart today and it works ok. Set it to 9v and it is 500mA but I think the CZ requires 800mA. There is a problem with the AC input , it's like the connection box is really lose and it's moving around causing it to power off with any sudden movement. Guess I'm back on batteries. :(
Last edited by PLP on Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Actually, I've found that the generic wall-warts don't work so well (at least here in the US). You can find ones with the right specs and they will power up okay, but the actual power jack on the CZ is a slightly non-standard size, so the generic power supplies are prone to lose contact or sometimes fall out completely if you bump the plug or the synth even slightly.

It took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on, at first I assumed the power jack was coming loose from the PCB or something. But switching to the proper AD-5 power supply (actually it may have been a generic equivalent, I'll check when I get home), with its almost imperceptibly-different-sized plug, solved the problem.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

PLP

Post by PLP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:Actually, I've found that the generic wall-warts don't work so well (at least here in the US). You can find ones with the right specs and they will power up okay, but the actual power jack on the CZ is a slightly non-standard size, so the generic power supplies are prone to lose contact or sometimes fall out completely if you bump the plug or the synth even slightly.

It took me a while to figure out exactly what was going on, at first I assumed the power jack was coming loose from the PCB or something. But switching to the proper AD-5 power supply (actually it may have been a generic equivalent, I'll check when I get home), with its almost imperceptibly-different-sized plug, solved the problem.
You guys always come through , great advice. That is exactly what I was thinking but wasn't sure. So the AD-5 on Amazon will work? If so I'm ordering one right now.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 am

I just looked, mine is an AC-5, like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/CASIO-KEYBOARD-AC-A ... 56347796e7
I think it's just the generic version of Casio's AD-5. I'd just buy whichever one you can find cheaper. ;)
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop