Novation Bass Station needing repair, I think

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
danox574

Novation Bass Station needing repair, I think

Post by danox574 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:13 am

I have a non-working original Bass Station with the two octave keyboard.

Logic seems to work, the 7 presets have different LFO rates and the light is blinking properly. Using any knob or switch puts the "Edit Write' light on. In write enable mode, the compare button (octave down) works and the write button works, blinking appropriate LEDs. When the Key'b/Off/Tuning switch is in tuning mode, the octave keys cause the tuning light to blink when the tuning is moved from A440, and darken when brought back (in the sense, two taps up, blinking light, two taps down, tuning light goes off).

All MIDI signals are transmitted. Can't be sure about received. MIDI monitor shows all keys, pitch wheel, some of the knobs as controllers. Seems great.

I have set the TX and RX channel for the MIDI to the same channel.

Any common failures with these that I should be looking at?

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: Novation Bass Station needing repair, I think

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 am

Maybe? I repaired a few bass stations but I have not encounter that problem before... Have you looked in the owner's manual just in case?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

danox574

Post by danox574 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:06 am

Maschinengeist wrote:Maybe? I repaired a few bass stations but I have not encounter that problem before... Have you looked in the owner's manual just in case?
Yes, the notable feature manual-wise is the fact that they need to be set to the same transmit/receive channel or there is no local control. I've confirmed that, but also attempted to send in signal from a keyboard on all 16 MIDI channels and still getting no sound.

Originally, I was getting no MIDI out of the ports from keys, but I was from the knobs. I took it apart and found the ribbon cable was not connected to the bottom of the keyboard, leading me to believe someone else had been inside trying to fix it already. After reconnecting that, I was seeing all keys on MIDI and something is blocking the sound entirely, so I'll check at the output jack and volume pot and other near end-of-chain stuff. No noise at all at the amp, no hiss or other electrical sound when it's turned up, the amp sounds as if it's not connected to anything, so I'm guessing it's something late in the pathway.

What typical failures have you seen on these, incidentally?

danox574

Post by danox574 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 pm

I've actually found, upon taking this to another location, when volume is all the way up and connected to an amplifier of significant size (and turning that all the way up), I can hear the audio. It is extremely faint, the volume levels at the output jack seem to be severely reduced. If anyone knows what might cause that issue, I'd appreciate a heads up!