Moog Taurus I note not working, not a contact...

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
WhinyLittleRunt

Moog Taurus I note not working, not a contact...

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 am

Trying to fix one note on a Taurus I; took entire unit apart and cleaned all key contacts. The problem is with the E key (pedal); it will work when you power it on and play for a minute or so, but will stop working after that. If you shut it down and power back up, it will work temporarily again.

Also had intermittent and now absent LEDs on 2 of the 3 presets.

Anything to look for? This unit is foreign to me as of yesterday...
I like vintage synths....

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: Moog Taurus I note not working, not a contact...

Post by Maschinengeist » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:40 am

My time in the repairshop is limited these days but I'll try to find time to think about your problem. Remind me if I forget to come back to you in the next few days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:48 am

Could be a hairline crack on the board or cold solder joint that opens up when the unit warms up. I'd be checking that first.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Hmmm..

I also noticed that if it is working, by touching or moving, say, the glide slider inside, it will immediately cause the note to stop. weird...

Also sometimes on immediate power recycle it still won't work unless you wait longer.

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:16 am

Check the solder joints as mentioned.

Also, what is IC 101? A SIP?
Hit IC101 with can of compressed air. That'll cool it down and see if its an intermittent IC/SIP.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 am

If it's the E note that isn't working, check the solder joints/continuity at J2 pin 5 to the pedal contact on the E pedal; J2 pin 5 to IC105 pin 6; make sure IC105 is seated properly if it's socketed.

Since the pedal board feeds into a resistor ladder to generate the pitch CV/gate, if just one note isn't working, it has to be the connection between that one note's pedal and the resistor ladder (IC105).

As for the preset LEDs, those are probably a loose connection to the LEDs, if the presets themselves are working. If the presets aren't working, check around IC901 and IC905.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:58 am

Great advice everyone.

Synthaholic - thank you so much for the detailed diagnostics. Either you know the Taurus like the back of your hand or you just went totally out of your way to get that info. Either way that was much appreciated :) Got some poking around now to do tomorrow.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:07 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote:Synthaholic - thank you so much for the detailed diagnostics. Either you know the Taurus like the back of your hand or you just went totally out of your way to get that info. Either way that was much appreciated :) Got some poking around now to do tomorrow.
The correct answer is #2. I found the schematic on http://manuals.fdiskc.com/flat/

Of course, I would rather have #1 be true, since that would mean owning one. :)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm

If it makes you feel any better I don't own it either! My associate purchased it but I typically give the stuff a once-over or a complete dis-assembly and cleaning, which is what I had to do in this case because they were just filthy.

Well thanks again for getting that info - I had previously downloaded that schematic as well but I really have trouble following them...

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Synthaholic wrote:If it's the E note that isn't working, check the solder joints/continuity at J2 pin 5 to the pedal contact on the E pedal; J2 pin 5 to IC105 pin 6; make sure IC105 is seated properly if it's socketed.

Since the pedal board feeds into a resistor ladder to generate the pitch CV/gate, if just one note isn't working, it has to be the connection between that one note's pedal and the resistor ladder (IC105).

As for the preset LEDs, those are probably a loose connection to the LEDs, if the presets themselves are working. If the presets aren't working, check around IC901 and IC905.

Thanks a million, man... you were 100% correct it was a broken leg on IC 105.. Go figure. I'd never have thought to look for that without your help. Also replaced the bad LED's and this thing is functioning great now. Thanks again!