DIN SYNC timing issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

DIN SYNC timing issues

Post by michael stein » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm

So my encore expressionist and my FR Mobius do the same thing when trying to clock a 606. The 606 starts and stops correctly but runs at a different rate. I'm not using a specific DIN Sync cable just a midi cable, if this is my problem could someone explain why? and how it works this way?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: DIN SYNC timing issues

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 pm

DIN Sync uses the same 5-pin DIN socket as MIDI but isnt' wired the same. MIDI uses the middle three pins, DIN Sync uses the centre and outer pins (and sometimes one other for extra functions like Fill). I can't recall the DIN pin-out right now, but you have a regular 24ppqn clock pulse (at least, you do on Sync24) on one pin, a Run signal on another, and Continue on another (from memory... I think that's pretty standard).

If you use a MIDI cable that only has the specific MIDI pins connected, I'd guess that you might be telling the 606 to start and stop, but neither Continue or Clock will be getting through (this depends on the actual pin-outs, so I'm guessing here without diggin out the info). What you need to do is make sure you only use fully-wired cables. Many MIDI cables are fully wired these days, but you could also use regular 5-pinDIN audio leads that are wired pin-to-pin.

I'm not presuming this is the actual problem, but it's something to look at. I can't recall at this moment whether the 606 used physical switching on plug insertion to override its internal clock with the Sync-ing one, I'd need to take a look at the service notes.

Anyway, hope that helps.

michael stein

Post by michael stein » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:15 am

there is a switch to specify master or slave for the 606 but it is not working either way. Thanks

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:11 am

are you sure your not just using the wrong scaling for the 606?????
for sale/trade: EML-101

michael stein

Post by michael stein » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:33 am

yeah im sure.....they are runnin at different speeds. both 4/4