Virus A MIDI question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Cosmosis
Gear: Access Virus A - Roland JX-8P - Korg K25 controller - Korg EX800 - Kaysound controller - Roland TR-707.
Band: TASHA-YAR/R. Mötte/Agrabatti

Virus A MIDI question

Post by Cosmosis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:31 am

New member here!

I have an Access Virus A desktop synth and I have a question about controlling it...

Seeing as how it has the "Multi" setup function in which the module has 16 multitimbral parts (16 MIDI channels), what MIDI interface would I need to use to connect, say, 3 MIDI controller keyboards? I assume I would need a device to plug into the MIDI in of the Virus that would have MIDI ins for each controller keyboard, correct? And if so, what device am I looking for? I do have a Multiman 3X8, but it is 3-in (A,B or C) by 8-out (A,B or C selector switch for each out). I think I need something like a 3-in (or realative) by 1-out...

I would like to have one controller to use for arpeggiations, one to control a mono-lead sytnh patch and one for poly sounds like strings and pads.

I used to have a Yamaha RS7000 that had 16 MIDI tracks to work with, but do not need that machine for the application I use it in now.

If this topic has been covered before, any leading to it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help in this matter!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: Virus A MIDI question

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:07 pm

you need something to act as a midi router...

Cosmosis
Gear: Access Virus A - Roland JX-8P - Korg K25 controller - Korg EX800 - Kaysound controller - Roland TR-707.

Post by Cosmosis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Would it be possible to use the MidiMan 3x8 and run the controllers into the outs (switched to input A) and then out of input A into the Virus???

Seems as if it would work since the MIDI signal path would have 3 controllers routed to input A. No reason why the MIDI signal could not run backwards...

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm

it might work, i have a midiman 8x8 that can be configured as a router so...

Cosmosis

Post by Cosmosis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 am

So, I tried to use my MidiMan 3x8 as a merge for both controllers and it did not work.

If anyone here can help me figure out how to use two keyboard controllers with my Virus A desktop module, please slide me some info. Once again:

Two Midi keyboard controllers into the MIDI IN of the Virus to control different patches in "Multimode".

Cheers for the help!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:49 am

The most practical solution with your Multiman is to use a sequencer software's "Thru" function, then route the Multiman inputs, in 3 separate active/armed Midi tracks, to a single Multiman output. Then connect the Virus Midi input to this single Multiman output. Most sequencer software allows this, such as Cubase, Ableton Live, Reaper, etc.

Another option is, assuming each controller has a Midi Thru jack and Midi In jack, and you have 5 midi cables, chain them as Out(key1) -> In (key2) ->Thru(key2) -> In(key3) ->Thru(key3) -> Multiman In. Set each keyboard to a different channel.

Finally, if you don't want to use a computer, another option is to use something like this Midi Merger to merge several Midi outputs. It works well as long as your most frequently used item is plugged into slot one, as this Midi input slot must have power going to it to work. I believe it even allows simultaneous outputs using the same channel.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Cosmosis

Post by Cosmosis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 pm

PERFECT! Thaks man!

The two input MIDI merger will work great. Just what I was looking for.

Much gratitude, man! :)