John Foxx - Underpass

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Kanfuze

John Foxx - Underpass

Post by Kanfuze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm

can someone explain me how to imitate the lead synth in this song???

thanks ;)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: John Foxx - Underpass

Post by Micke » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:39 pm

I can't help you with the sound but I do know the lead synth was an ARP Odyssey.

I'm suspecting the lead line was tracked over itself (ie doubled) a couple of times and that's probably one of the reasons it sounds so rich.

Says Foxx: "I put the signal from the synth straight into an amp and play that into a room, then put microphones some disctance away from the amp's speaker to get a senseof space on the track, and record the synths from the mics instead of direct injecting them. That process helps beef up the synth sounds considerably. Sometimes I would layer several tracks of ARP Synth together, put those out through an amp and re-record those to get a meaty sound."

At Pathway there was a home-made reverb plate made out of tin foil with two contact mics, that was dead right for the synths. It responded perfectly with the ARP. That was the only reverb used on Metamatic, apart from the one ion my (Roland) space echo which is a fairly limited spring reverb that "pings" immediately you put any transient signal through it."

(source: HSR interview Oct 1984).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Kanfuze

Post by Kanfuze » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:26 pm

wow thanks man you really helpin me with the info. i forgot to think of the recording techniques in my experiment...
i am gonna still try to do it i got all the right equipment in my school. wish me luck :)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:03 am

You're welcome :)

I realize now that you're referring to another sound than I had in mind (I thought you meant the main-riff). Anyway, It sounds like there's some phasing or flanging to that sound.

Btw, have you seen this;

Unfortunately it's difficult to make out the exact patch settings but maybe you could email the guy and ask
for a hi-resolution photo.

Re the melody riff on Underpass, anyone else noticed the similarity to the synth-riff on New Musik's song "Sanctuary"?

Metamatic was released in Jan 1980 about three months prior to New Musik's album, but according to Tony Mansfield,
when interviewed in Sounds 24/5/80: "Then John Foxx used the same riff as in 'Sanctuary' on 'Underpass'. It's on our old demos, honest!'
Be that as it may, I doubt Foxx could've heard Sanctuary before he wrote Underpass.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:49 am

foxx also was notorious for using pedals on synths. a good flanger and phaser go great for re-creating the mood of metamatic. one of my all time favorite records.

-matia

Kanfuze

Post by Kanfuze » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Micke wrote:You're welcome :)

I realize now that you're referring to another sound than I had in mind (I thought you meant the main-riff).
^^i was referring to the main-riff.. and the "New Musik" riff really sound a like :shock:
i am going to send mail to the guy,lets see if he is a nice one..

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Ahh I see...I thought you meant the 'secondary' riff that kicks in at 0:26 into the song:

Btw, the Odyssey used on Metamatic was a black & gold face mk II but I guess you knew that already.
That version initially came fitted with the 4035 "Moog filter" though later versions of the same synth had
the then-new 4075 ARP filter.

Kanfuze

Post by Kanfuze » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 pm

well since i dont have a ARP i am goin to use my yamaha cs-15 (i know i can't expect much but still its gonna be interesting)