Roland D70 keybed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ontheyslay

Roland D70 keybed

Post by ontheyslay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:03 pm

I just purchased a Roland D70 rather cheap due to the epoxied keys oozing (I guess) and rendering them practically useless. If I hit the key hard enough, I can hit the contact and the note sounds. From what I've seen from my searches is it is a very common problem, but really haven't found any solutions. Has anyone done this sort of repair on a D70, or repaired the similar problem on another synth?

Tek

Re: Roland D70 keybed

Post by Tek » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi, the D70, U20 and JD800 all share the same keys and the same problems. I've just replaced my JD800 keys with new ones from Roland. They cost £1.50 each which is pretty cheap when you look at what some people sell them for.

My D70 'oozes' but the U20 is still hanging in there. The gloop gets inside the synth too so be prepared to try and clean it up. I have not found anything that cleans it off but apparently 'kerosene' helps.
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.

ontheyslay

Post by ontheyslay » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:10 am

Are the keys basically useless after they've started oozing?

Tek

Post by Tek » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Im hoping that there is actually something out there to clean them, the red gloop sticks to everything - whilst failing to stick the metal to the key. It is said that it happens mostly in hot countries, but I live in the north of England, it's not very hot here, I hadn't used the JD for a year or two and mine suddenly melted after very little use. The replacement keys have a hard black glue so here's hoping.
Reason 6.5 and a bit of hardware.

ontheyslay

Post by ontheyslay » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 pm

I'll probably call Roland to see if there is any way to dissolve the epoxy without destroying anything. Thanks for your replies.

res075oh

Post by res075oh » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 am

Hi; newbie here. I don't see any other info on the topic so if there is please direct me there.

I have a Roland D-70 that has been sitting in its case for a few years. I finally decided to take it over to a friend who has been wanting a keyboard but has no financial resources to acquire one.

When I took it out of the case I found that over 60 of the key weights have fallen off and the glue has run down into where it shouldn't be.

Is there any updated info on 1] getting a manual; and 2] what will remove the glue without destroying the keys and innards?

Again, if this should be posted elsewhere or if I've missed previous posted info a link would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:13 am

You can download manuals for nearly all Roland items for free @ www.RolandUS.com

No idea what to use to remove the glue, but new keys are relatively inexpensive from Roland's parts department.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm

I have found nothing that will easily cut the red glue. For keys that have not oozed - or just started - another tech steered me to "GOOP Automotive (red tube)" to seal the old glue in place.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius