Yamaha RM1X - unresponsive key/proposed workaround

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha RM1X - unresponsive key/proposed workaround

Postby eldwarfo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 am

The fourth key on my RM1X is totally unresponsive (the most likely cause being that it needs to be cleaned, being the rugged old workhorse that it is). I decided to hook up my Oxygen 8 (v1) MIDI controller to compensate for it in the meantime, my intent being to control the keys (not just for playing notes, but changing sections/muting and so on).

Alas, I can only seem to use the Oxygen to make the default drum sounds on the RM1X. I have checked the manuals for both items and can't find anything pertaining to this specific situation, though I'm most likely just ignorant of the correct term (assuming it can be done at all).

Can it be done? If not, how big a job is it to crack it open and clean it up a bit?
eldwarfo

Re: Yamaha RM1X - unresponsive key/proposed workaround

Postby Zamise » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 am

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the mini keys on the RM1X are the same as on the RS7000 which is what I'm more familiar with, and from the stories I've read and heard over the years on the RS Yahoo list, you can not crack them open and just clean individual keys and their contacts . They have to be replaced as a whole self contained contact strip. You have to order it from Yamaha. Support@yamaha.com I think is the email addy if I remember right to get a hold of them for ordering it. You'll have to take it apart to do this anyway, so if this isn't true you'll be able to see if you can clean just the one key and do that instead.

As for only getting drums from a controller, you probably don't have the midi setup right between the two. On the RS, it always receives on all channels all the time, so if you have a drum channel/track selected that is what it will play. Your controller may be set to send on a difrent channel at the same time so perhaps your getting both, I think you may need to make sure you either set it to send to none or no channels or set it to the specific channel you are wanting to play. There may also be some local control off/on setting that may be causing that on the RM as well, kind of have to go through all that manually, figure it out and make sure it is all set up correctly between the two.

Hope that helps ya some and not confuse you more.

Zam
Last edited by Zamise on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby cartesia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:28 am

one thing to note with the rm1x.. i thought mine had dirty keys, it just turned out due to age the plastic 'levers' that press on the actual buttons on the circuit board, had warped or shrunk a bit so there was about a 1mm gap between it and the button - result - pressing down lightly didnt work.

if this is the case, i was going to just put a blob of glue on each button... i sold it at that point though.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Postby eldwarfo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 am

Cheers for the replies chaps.

Zamise - I think I see what you're getting at. I'll mess around with the MIDI settings some more and see what I can get.

catesia - Yeah, that might be worth trying. Thanks.
eldwarfo

Return to HELP!