SCSI Zip Drive weirdness.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

SCSI Zip Drive weirdness.

Post by portland » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:44 am

So I'm trying to get this Iomega Zip 100 SCSI zip drive to work with an Akai MPC2000XL. I found a HD50 to DB25 adaptor, and I was able to load files from a zip disk I made on my Roland S760 onto the MPC. However, when I tried to format that disk on the MPC I got "DOS Error". WTF?

I also found an unopened "IBM formatted" Zip disk, but I was not able to format it either on the MPC or the S760 - "Medium Error". Could it be that this disk is write protected? From what I read there's no way to turn that off without a computer.

Should I just buy a whole bunch of assorted disks (they are only $0.50 at the computer junk shop), or is there a way I can fix either of these problems?

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5

Re: SCSI Zip Drive weirdness.

Post by portland » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:55 am

So apparently the 2000xl can't format IBM formatted zip disks or S760 formatted disks, but it can format Mac disks just fine.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:00 am

That seems odd. The disc format can be overwritten. Is there an option on either machine to do a low level format? If this is only happening with 2 IBM format discs, then I suspect the discs themselves may be faulty. The IBM format is a red herring.

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Which version of the OS does your MPC have?

portland

Post by portland » Wed May 05, 2010 12:16 am

Ok this is still really weird. I just went and bought loads of unopened Zip disks, all IBM formatted. Since my previous post, I also found a USB zip disk drive.

My S760 still won't format these new Zip disks. It gets to '20' before giving a medium error on these disks.
Now I essentially have only two working zip disks (mac formatted), which are now full of sounds.
Now I'm wondering if the SCSI zip drive I have for my S760 is broken. It can still read all the data I saved on the working disks, but maybe it can't format disks anymore? Also, it doesn't seem to be able to save reliably to the working disks - but this might be because the disks are full (there are a LOT of sounds on them).

I tried make an image of one of the disks with my USB zip drive so that I could try reformatting a working disk, but it had an error part way through.

I would just replace the zip drive, but there is still the issue of why the MPC couldn't reformat these disks either.
I tried to use Disk Utility to reformat the IBM zip disks to mac, but that didn't work. Should I have tried 'journaled' or one of the other settings? At this point I'm close to just shelling out the money for a magneto optical drive, but if there are any Zip Disk professionals on this board, please help me out.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 am

Get rid of the evil zip drive as soon as possible. Having used them to sneakernet files to and from my Amiga for years (note this was years ago when i still used the machine) my best advice is HIE THEE AWAY!!!!

Seriously. And don't replace it with an MO drive, then you're still going to have media availability problems,. except x10. A better idea would be a CF-card drive from SCSIforSamplers.

portland

Post by portland » Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 am

Ashe37 wrote:Get rid of the evil zip drive as soon as possible. Having used them to sneakernet files to and from my Amiga for years (note this was years ago when i still used the machine) my best advice is HIE THEE AWAY!!!!

Seriously. And don't replace it with an MO drive, then you're still going to have media availability problems,. except x10. A better idea would be a CF-card drive from SCSIforSamplers.
You're right. I've already had to repair this current drive once (and I also bought a broken one from the computer junk store - luckily it was returnable). I didn't know the CF card drive was available for the S760, so this is good news. MO drives are super expensive anyway.

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 am

first thing i read was HD50 to DB25 connector, and went "Ahh, there's your problem".
yes it would work- but one way only.

-smaller to larger-
you would have more luck if your going from C50 wide to DB25, but HD50? why would they even make a cable?
the bus width is so off.. your talking about 16bit transfer trying to match a 8bit bus. of course its going to crash.

SCSI is a nightmare.. I only ask,... why didn't they use Parallel ATA instead "face palm"

edit:
I assume the issue at hand is on the HD50 side of the cable, am i right? ;)

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:54 am

Old Iron Giant wrote:first thing i read was HD50 to DB25 connector, and went "Ahh, there's your problem".

-smaller to larger-
you would have more luck if your going from C50 wide to DB25, but HD50? why would they even make a cable?
the bus width is so off.. your talking about 16bit transfer trying to match a 8bit bus. of course its going to crash.

SCSI is a nightmare.. I only ask,... why didn't they use Parallel ATA instead "face palm"

edit:
I assume the issue at hand is on the HD50 side of the cable, am i right? ;)
I never had trouble adapting 50 pin to 25 pin...

they didn't use parallel ATA because PATA at that point was slow as pond water, is limited to two devices (versus 7) and had no external interface standard....

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm

not everyone experiences issues, based on their hardware setup. My scsi card is ultrawide 68-pin and it will read and pull data from my sampler C50 wide, but won't write to it without issues.

do some research in SCSI, I'm just saying the problem your having is more-likely to do with the cable.
maybe you can find a fix "shrugs"

also, there are two types of 50pin C50wide thats 8bit, and HD50 ultrawide 16bit.

the IDE thing was a good joke :lol: , but it seriously would of saved us of headaches in the future.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Get rid of the evil zip drive as soon as possible. Having used them to sneakernet files to and from my Amiga for years (note this was years ago when i still used the machine) my best advice is HIE THEE AWAY!!!!

Very sound advice! - ZIP drives are hellishly fragile (I've had loads fail over the years!) but MO drives and especially the media, despite being ancient by now, are virtually bomb proof! They are also virtually immune to stray magnetic fields (well at least at room temperature!). In fact, as I've said before, they were the choice for long term storage by many professional archivists for years. I use MO on my old EIII and my S1000 samplers.

For those interested, I've been able to use MO on EMAX II, EIIIX and S1000 with no issues. The drive I recommend is the old Power MO 230 II by Olympus - it's reliable, small and extremely quiet.

portland

Post by portland » Thu May 06, 2010 1:11 am

Old Iron Giant wrote:first thing i read was HD50 to DB25 connector, and went "Ahh, there's your problem".
Actually that setup works fine for the MPC, I mean it can read & write no problem. But that's probably not related to the formatting problem because the S760 has a regular Db25 at both sides, and it has the same problem.