Yamaha CS5 External in plays the same note

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
somewherecheap
Gear: Korg MS-10
Korg Micro-Preset SP
Yamaha CS-5
Boss Dr-110
Orla Organ

Yamaha CS5 External in plays the same note

Post by somewherecheap » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi,
I've been trying to play my guitar through my CS5 but I'm stuck. When I plug my guitar into the external in I pick the E string and a note sounds on the synth, when I go up to G on the guitar the synth makes the same sound as the E string. I've read the manual but I can't work out how to control the synth with a guitar.

Thanks,

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Yamaha CS5 External in plays the same note

Post by pflosi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

afaik that's not possible. you need pitch to cv conversion for this. apart from modular systems, i think the ms 20 is the only synth that does that. iirc the external audio in on the yamaha cs series is only there to route things through the vcf and vca. if you just want to process your guitar, just turn off the oscillator. the envelope is triggered (and thus a sound played) because the external audio signal needs to get through the vca too... you could also open the vca, so all signals are passed all the time

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Yamaha CS5 External in plays the same note

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm

I'd agree. It sounds like you want to make the synth's oscillator track the notes on your guitar, but the External input is just for audio - you can only use it to process the sound, not follow notes, as pflosi said.