dead alesis ion main output pre-amp FIXED!!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Re: dead alesis ion main output pre-amp FIXED!!

Postby bassdude » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

/\/\/\/\
Somebody? Anybody?
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby _dan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 pm

i recently had this problem on my micron, the left audio out would distort and then gradually lose volume until it stabilized at a very low level. I was all ready to borrow one of the audio inputs but i figured: let me start with the easiest fix action first. so i took the thing apart and doused the faulty jack with component cleaner while it was still on the board. i let it dry and doused it again. the problem has not returned since.

both the micron and ion (and probably miniak) get pretty hot when used for a long time, and there isn't a whole lot of ventilation inside the device, so some gunk is likely to build up in there. best of luck!!
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================
_dan

Postby 16vminimike » Fri May 16, 2014 11:50 pm

Has anyone got a part number for the volume pot?
16vminimike

Gear: 2 Roland W-30, SH-02, MiniNova, MicroSAMPLER, Quasimidi Raven Max, Sirius, Cyber 6, 5 Akai S3000XL's, 303, EMX-1, Orbit 9090, Planet Phatt, Mo Phatt

Postby Yekuku » Wed May 21, 2014 11:24 pm

It should be a dual logarithmic (audio taper) 10 KΩ pot.
Part number is 0-09-0041 (POT 10KA DUAL)
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby optiondelete » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Yekuku wrote:It should be a dual logarithmic (audio taper) 10 KΩ pot.

Dragging this one back into the light... I've been having trouble finding the above part number in stock. I sent an email to Instrumentalparts.com and they informed me that the pot is discontinued. :(
Does anyone know if I can use an equivalent, dual 10K log potentiometer? It looks like the original part is PC-mount, but I assume I could use a panel-mount style and jumper it to the board, but I wanted to make sure.
optiondelete

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:33 pm

optiondelete wrote:

Dragging this one back into the light... I've been having trouble finding the above part number in stock. I sent an email to Instrumentalparts.com and they informed me that the pot is discontinued. :(

Does anyone know if I can use an equivalent, dual 10K log potentiometer? It looks like the original part is PC-mount, but I assume I could use a panel-mount style and jumper it to the board, but I wanted to make sure.

Can you not just bypass the pot by wiring the two legs together that aren't connected to ground for the time being?

At least then you'll have an output again.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby pmanderson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:24 pm

I've recently acquired one of these having the crackling volume knob issue. The output JFETS are still fine however.
I sprayed Radio Shack Contact Cleaner and Lubricant spray 6400148 (Caig DeoxIT generic) on it and works great now.

I'll try to explain was was wrong with mine, maybe it can help someone else. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

All the potentiometers (endless pots and the volume pot) are not sealed. Dust can get inside easily but I believe these particular (low end) components produce a lot of loose aggregate material on the contacts as a result of their fabrication. The initial loose material inside the components come from the components themselves and are produced right when you start turning the knobs. After the initial 'loosening' of material, things they should work as expected, however the initial loose material is still inside the pot.

All of the pots are likely generating noisy values due to this, however you wont notice the endless pots because they are being normalized by software. The volume knob is the only one not directly sampled and handled by the cpu, its directly affecting the output preamp.
Spray the contact cleaner to wash a bit a dust away. The cleaner contains a fine mineral oil which should keep things nice for quite a while.

While I had the unit opened, I noticed how easily the panel board would be to work on if one were to replace all the pots.

And lastly a question: Are their any 160x160 OLED displays that could work as a drop-in replacement for the one in the ION?

Regards,
pmanderson

Gear: RS7000, Motif XS6, Virus Indigo II, Volca Bass, Volca Keys, K Station, CZ-1, TX81Z, Matrix 1000, BCR2000, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Electribe EMX1, Prophet 08

Postby dreaminginthelotus » Sat May 28, 2016 7:06 pm

I know this thread is old, but it is still pertinent.

I am experiencing a similar problem with a used Alesis Ion I purchased (via ebay, can still return the unit, but...would really like to keep it). After unboxing, I noticed the headphone output was incredibly low when testing the unit, but wasn't in a proper setting to hook it up to monitors to check the main output levels against the auxillary output levels. I know...I know...I should have been more suspicious, and known better... but I sold my last ION ~5 years ago and have missed it so much, I am still blinded by the joy of having one of my favorite synths again.

Once hooked up to with my MPC to monitor the levels (I work primarily on an MPC 1000, and generally run a synth through it) the main output levels are significantly lower than auxillary outputs (testing 100% main vs 100% aux, red volume knob turned all the way up to max the main level). I can get things to a useable level by setting the line in gain pretty high on the MPC, but obviously that is less than ideal, and picks up a low level of unwanted line noise.

I was going to order the FETs and a new volume potentiometer, however it appears that all the online retailers that sell replacement ION parts are out of stock for the volume Pots:

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/alionsppa.html

https://syntaur.com/alesis_ion.html

**Question**

Does anyone know where these parts can still be found? I know how to solder, but can anyone give advice as to how difficult this repair is? I am in the NYC area, so if anyone knows of a local source, or decent repair shop (I am a bit afraid of frying something with inaccurate soldering) I am open to suggestions.

Could the issue be something else? The main output isn't totally dead, nor are the headphone outs, but they are definitely not where they should be (with headphones, I would say they reach 20-30% of the expected level; perhaps better for my ears...haha), and solely using the aux outputs bypasses the EFX which I do use to some extent.
dreaminginthelotus

Postby flaminggarlic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:21 pm

optiondelete wrote:

Here is a link to a comparable part still available. no metal shaft but whateves :p
http://www.surplus-deal.com/product_p/pot-f.htm
flaminggarlic

Postby synthartist69 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Remove the two FETs, do not replace those as the problem will eventually come back.. just remove them and it will fix your problem.
synthartist69

Gear: Roland Jupiter 8
Roland Jupiter 6
Roland Jupiter 4
Alesis Andromeda
Alesis Ion
Yamaha P155
Roland JV1000
Roland TR8
Linn Drum LM2
Alesis SR18
Band: A Buck Twenty-Five