Alpha/MKS left channel Chorus/BBD issue(w/ audio example)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Alpha/MKS left channel Chorus/BBD issue(w/ audio example)

Post by Overgear » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 am

My MKS-50 has a cycling/chirping noise in the left channel that is only present when the chorus is on. It appears to be the chorus lfo as it changes with the rate control...and, no, this isn't the typical Juno chorus hiss. I have seen(even here) other Alpha/MKS owners have this but I don't know if anyone has provided an audio example. So, here goes...

Example - I upped it 45db to make it clearly audible.

I messed with the rate for a couple of minutes but at about 20 seconds you can hear it at max/127. When it's going that fast, it creates a awful 10hz tone. Even at 80, if you play in the upper octaves, you will get a DC offset-10z tone. It kinda sounds like the lfo signal is overdriven in the left side

Has anyone had any experience with this or can tell from the audio where to check? I do have the service manual and I see the BBDs and associated circuits. I'm hoping for a nice little trimmer to adjust but I doubt it's gonna be that simple.

I have a track I really need it for that's got a lot of soft bits and the chirping is evident. Plus, I have to multitrack it - 3 times - because of polyphony. The chorus is essential to the sound. I've tried external choruses(including the CE-300) and it is just not the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: Alpha/MKS left channel Chorus/BBD issue(w/ audio example)

Post by Maschinengeist » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 am

Lemme check my service manual and I come back to you with possible hints.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Re: Alpha/MKS left channel Chorus/BBD issue(w/ audio example)

Post by Overgear » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 am

Thanks!

Hoping everything is well with you, sir.