Dx7 dead button

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

Dx7 dead button

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

damn. So the "store" button my beloved DX7 just decided to die on me. Is this a possible DIY fix? I am quite technically inclined (have replaced and recapped power supplies, upgraded Eproms on an EsQ1, ect). Thanks in advance for the help
Last edited by ensoniqphreak on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: Dx7 dead button

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm

If you can get the panel apart and get at the tactile switches, you should be able to unsolder the bad one and put a replacement one in.

The tricky part will be finding a switch that fits... maybe someone who's done it before has a part #?

You might find it's not the switch but a bad solder joint or something too... in which case, it's a really easy fix.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

ensoniqphreak
Gear: A stick ter bang on a holler log. Its all ye need fer musik. Gerd musik. And purdy cheap ter boot. No really though: see my sig.
Band: The Cotton Progressives

Post by ensoniqphreak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Ahhhh. Found the service manual online, and I am surprised that this does not seem to be as complicated a synth to service as I had anticipated. I may go ahead and buy a backlit LCD to throw on while ive got her open. Also, I just found out that this particular DX was one of the first production runs, its missing the "Midi channel" function label under button 8. So no wonder she is actin up, she is 27 years old! That really just makes investing some time and resources into putting her back into tip-top performance (she already is practically there) all the more worth while. Once midterms are over and I have spring break to spend, pics will be forthcoming. Any other tips from people who have DIYed a DX7? Other than be sure to keep the power on while I am working on it and wear all aluminium clothing while having a friend rub my hair with a helium filled balloon, of course..... :twisted:
Spencer Musick (my real last name if youll believe it)

Gear: Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno-6, Ensoniq ESQ-1, CZ-101. VAs: Korg Legacy Collection, DAhornet, Omaha, SQ-8L, Arppe 2600.

wildpaws
Gear: DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, etc.

Post by wildpaws » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

You might see if you can find a newer LED style display screen, they generally look better and don't have backlights to eventually wear out. I know quite a few people have changed over to those on SY77/99s (I plan on doing both of mine) and various other synths.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.