Oberheim DX or MFB Step64 users? Need help with sync

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
magnus

Oberheim DX or MFB Step64 users? Need help with sync

Post by magnus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi there
I just got my hands on an Oberheim Stretch DX am looking to hook it up with the rest of my gear. I generally use my MFB Step64 as master clock, but as the DX has 2 midi outs and the Step64 can be a little sloppy, I thought I'd have a go at making the DX master. Unfortunately I can't get the Step64 to respond to the DX, despite the fact that the Step64 is on receive mode and the midi channels are matched up. This is not the first time I've had trouble slaving this device - it doesn't respond when slaved to ableton either, but as I recall it slaves fine to my Roland MC-50 and Yamaha RX5 (neither of which I ever use). Any ideas? I've tried different settings on the DX to no avail.

So I decided to slave the DX to the Step64, but this is not without problems either. It clocks fine, but the DX keeps responding to note data too, playing the melody on various instruments. The DX manual says you're supposed to be able to clear the 'set drums to midi notes' setting, but I only find this works whilst I'm holding the erase button down - as soon as I let go it starts up again.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could suggest a way of finding a solution or determining which of the machines is causing the problem.

Cheers
Magnus