HELP! Fried Oberheim DX

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
magnus

HELP! Fried Oberheim DX

Post by magnus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi
I've just bought an Oberheim Stretch DX which was generally in a nice condition, but had a few switches on the Stretch side which weren't functioning properly. A bit of contact cleaner fixed one of them but two remained faulty. As the switch caps were fixed quite tightly, removing them had pulled the switches up from the board, so reasoning that the contacts between the board and the switches may have been compromised, I gave the joints a quick dab of the soldering iron - bad idea, I suspect.

Now, when the unit is turned on, all voices trigger in unison, and the display flashes up a load of vertical lines, then everything goes dead. I've tried disconnecting the stretch from the DX with no improvement. Does this sound like Ive fried something important on the main board? Does anyone know how I might go about testing for the faulty element? I'd like to see if I can sort it out before I send it for repair, as I'm skint.

Cheers

Magnus

Maschinengeist
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Multimeter
Frequency Counter
Oscilloscope
Signal Generator
Logic Probe
and more stuff
Band: Cybernetik

Re: HELP! Fried Oberheim DX

Post by Maschinengeist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:14 am

Doesn't sound good. Will try to find my schematics and see what I can find.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MuzikElektronix.com
Music electronics repair & More
Help? See TechZone
Parts? email!
Service Manuals?+/-2000 documents!
Sorry, they aren't free
Now on FACEBOOK: "Muzik Elektronix"

magnus

Re: HELP! Fried Oberheim DX

Post by magnus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:58 am

Thanks, that would be great. I got in touch with Paul White from the DMX files, and he told me how to disconnect the Stretch properly. After transferring the 6116 IC from the Stretch to its original place on the main board, I had some encouraging results. Now the DX alone works except for the ride and crash. Not sure what to make of that, but clearly the bulk of the problem is on the Stretch side. I'm going to keep scouring that side for loose ICs etc.

Cheers

Magnus