Korg Poly 800

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg Poly 800

Post by *** » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:03 pm

as a proud Korg Poly 800 owner, I am tempted by the prospect of expanding my synth's capabilities by adding the Moog Slayer mod. The question is; is this a stupid thing to attempt as I've never really soldered anything before?

also I'd be grateful if someone point me in the direction of some really simple step by step instruction on how to do this mod

thanks

magnus

Re: Korg Poly 800

Post by magnus » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I used this mod a couple of years ago. I was pretty awful at soldering, but I found it pretty easy:

http://www.synthmod.net/korg/moog_slayer/

Don't touch any integrated circuits, don't hold the soldering iron to components for more than a few seconds at a time, use heat shrink tubing to cover exposed joints and consider using a solder sucker or solder braid to remove the solder around the components you're trying to take out. Good luck!

And be careful making measurements for the holes you drill - mine worked okay but looked like s**t!

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:39 am

Well i did it to my poly 800 and i have to say its no "moog slayer" more likely to end up a "speaker slayer" the res goes so high its dangerous to your ears... be warned .....

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:20 am

On soldering, thing is to do each joint in one go, so don't keep re-melting and adding solder, if it needs more then keep the iron held on the joint. Always heat with the iron from behind the pin to heat the pin and add the solder from the front.

The most common things to note are to make sure the iron is hot enough to start with, and be very careful not to add to much solder, ie. you don't want a round blob, you want to be able to still see the pins' shape after you're soldered, also try to work quickly and accurately. And wash your hands when your done, almost all solder contains lead so you have to be careful not to get it in your system.

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:23 pm

yeah