Daisy chaining to midi controller keyboard

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
the_noodlemeister
Gear: Digidesign 002 rack, JP8000, jx3p, novation ks rack, protools le8, predator

Daisy chaining to midi controller keyboard

Post by the_noodlemeister » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Just purchased an M-Audio Axiom and a Digidesign 002 interface. I want to control and play my KS Rack, and Access virus B via the Axiom and through the 002 (using midi) - how do i cable this up? What cable goes where? Any help would be massively appreciated ;)

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Re: Daisy chaining to midi controller keyboard

Post by Shanesaw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:41 am

You could go MIDI OUT of your Axiom to MIDI IN of the Digi 002. Then MIDI OUT of the 002 to MIDI IN of either the KS rack or the Virus B. Choose, for example, MIDI IN of the KS. Then connect another MIDI cable from the MIDI THRU of the KS to the MIDI IN of the Virus B. That should do it.
Set the MIDI channel of each synth to different channels like KS rack would be MIDI Channel 1 and Virus Channel 2. If you want to trigger both of synths at the same time for a "stack" then leave them on the same MIDI channel.
OR
It looks like the 002 has 2 MIDI OUT's. Connect both MIDI OUT's to each synths' MIDI IN's...
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

the_noodlemeister
Gear: Digidesign 002 rack, JP8000, jx3p, novation ks rack, protools le8, predator

Post by the_noodlemeister » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Brilliant! Many thanks for your help. Can i just comfirm a couple of things though?
Firstly, do i not need any jack leads / patch cables then? Also, if i were to purchase another keyboard (ie Roland JP8000) how would i add it to this set-up (would it be via the MIDI THRU of the Virus to the MIDI IN of the JP8000, and then select a different Midi Channel - ie 3)? And lastly, i'm assuming that i still need the USB cable from the Axiom to my pc?

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:15 pm

the_noodlemeister wrote:Brilliant! Many thanks for your help. Can i just comfirm a couple of things though?
Firstly, do i not need any jack leads / patch cables then? Also, if i were to purchase another keyboard (ie Roland JP8000) how would i add it to this set-up (would it be via the MIDI THRU of the Virus to the MIDI IN of the JP8000, and then select a different Midi Channel - ie 3)? And lastly, i'm assuming that i still need the USB cable from the Axiom to my pc?
1. You will need whatever cables you require to hook up the audio outputs to the digi002.
2. Yes, To hook up another device just connect it to a midi through and set it to receive on a different channel
3. Yes or No, if it has an AC adapter then you can just hook it up to the midi in of your digi OR you can bypass the midi in to the digi002 altogether and just connect it via USB which would supply power and function as the midi in port leaving the midi in on the digi for something else.

the_noodlemeister

Post by the_noodlemeister » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Cheers. Much appreciated.
The Axiom has no AC Adaptor so i guess it needs the USB connection to my pc, and the MIDI cabling as previously suggested?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

Axiom? It should have a DC socket round the back. Check again.

the_noodlemeister

Post by the_noodlemeister » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 am

yes, you're right, it has a 12v DC socket (i was looking for a mains socket!) - but what do i insert int othis and where does the other end go?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Are you joking? Before someone responds to your question with a couple of named body parts, buy a regulated 12V DC power supply that provides enough current (ie, can supply more mA than the Axiom requires - the amount will be stated on the Axiom or in the manual) and plug the other end into the mains. If you really have to ask this, I'm not sure you should be allowed near electricity...

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

yea... seriously hope this kid is joking.

the_noodlemeister

Post by the_noodlemeister » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey come on guys, give me a break :) I'm a complete Newbie, remember?
I probably didn't word my question that well in hindsight, but cheers for your help (and the deserved sarcasm) :D