Emu Sp1200 Crashing / Freezing on Me

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mooghappy

Emu Sp1200 Crashing / Freezing on Me

Post by mooghappy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I just got an Emu Sp1200 that was sold fully functional. It's arrived, and looks to be fully functional except that it crashes at random on me. When it crashes the whole machine freezes up, no button will respond and no sound is heard and the screen doesn't respond or change. It happens usually within 5 minutes, sometimes immediately after I have booted up loading the OS and sounds, and sometimes a few minutes in. It happens both when I press a button, like to sample something or start recording, and it happens when I don't press anything at all and it's just sitting there.

Anyone else ever have this experience?

Any ideas what's going on?

It's an old gray version.

Probably will bring it to Bruce Forat, though over the phone he didn't seem to have any idea what could be going on.

Kreap

Re: Emu Sp1200 Crashing / Freezing on Me

Post by Kreap » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 am

Oh boy... same thing happened to me and its so f**k when you lose a lot of work on these things.

Is yours over heating like crazy? mine is... another tip i got to help this was get a new operating system disk, some dodgy disks can apparently load badly.

Either way bro, we both invested heavily in vintage gear and we can't expect miracles but f**k!!!!!!

mooghappy

Post by mooghappy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 am

I ended up having to send mine to Forat, and even Bruce had trouble figuring out what it was (if I recall bad connector cables shorting things out)

But as for over heating, that's likely an old gray version you have that needs a new power supply and some recap work.
Interesting tip on the OS disk.

Good luck!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:46 am

Check the 5V regulator, see if it's dropping out when it heats up.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.