HELP! UPS Smashed My MATRIX 6

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

HELP! UPS Smashed My MATRIX 6

Post by themilford » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey,

I just got a Matrix 6 shipped to me via a sale on Craigslist and it came totally busted up by UPS.

Both plastic end-blocks are cracked, the highest C key is broken and the lever deck has it's underside stand-offs all broken off.

The Chassis is bent but I think I can straighten that out.

If anybody has parts or a source for them it would be greatly appreciated. BTW: I've already contacted Bob at Sounddoctorin'... waiting to hear what he has.

Cheers,
D

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Re: HELP! UPS Smashed My MATRIX 6

Post by themilford » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Here are some pics of the crime scene:

EdGs
Gear: Prophet 5 and Emulator 1, both are works in progress
Epiphone LesPaul Ace Frehley
Hondo Formula One Vee
Fender Gemini IV

Post by EdGs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:23 am

That is sad. From those pics it looks as if it couldn't have been packed very well at all. And if it was, UPS didn't treat it very good either. I would definately be all over them on that one. Was it insured for full value? I would file a claim with them anyway, I think they cover $100, maybe a bit more, without additional insurance. It would be something at least. I hope everything works out for you.

I had something similar happen to a laser micrometer that I sent off for repair. I packed it very well for the trip out to the shop, but it came back with about 1/4 of the packing material that it started out with. I guess it was too confusing for them to keep the packing stuff together and repack it right. It was moving all over the box when I got it back. Luckily, it still worked when I got it checked out and fired back up. I have no clue how it survived unscathed.

I wrote a pretty nasty e-mail to the repair company with pictures I took before I removed it from the box. They said "We'll look into it". But no apologies, and no explanation after that. What the h**l, it was only an $8000 piece of equipment. If I had treated someone else's stuff like that, I'd be out of a job.

Good luck on this one. Hope you can get it all sorted out.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 am

Uggh! That is really quite sad to see.... if I were in this position, assuming you can't get it replaced on insurance, I'd remove both end cheeks, carefully straighten up the metalwork, and have some nice polished wooden end cheeks made. There are a number of companies that make custom end cheeks now and they can look very posh. The bender panel could possibly be repaired until you can find a replacement and yes I -highly- recommend Bob at Sounddoctorin' for replacement keys - it's thanks to him my EII has it's top and bottom C-keys in place after a similar nightmare with a courier. Many keyboards share key mechanisms - eg. EII and Kawai K4 and so you can often find a more common, lesser mortal, as a key donor.

I'd be most concerned as to whether the pcb assemblies are ok and that the keybed is still straight. I hope to christ the mains transformer is mounted to the chassis in the Matrix and not to the pcb!

Hopefully the majority of it is just superficial.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:45 pm

good candidate for wooden end panels. Something to think about anyway. Hit up Analogics and see if they can help.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Wed May 19, 2010 2:50 pm

I just read this quote in an eBay sale detail and was wondering if some of you in the US/Canada are using other means to transport vintage synths?

"UPS is famous for throwing keyboards off the truck onto one end or the other, effectively making them unrepairable, so we DON'T use UPS."
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed May 19, 2010 10:31 pm

I was using the US post office priority mail. Until recent I've been able to send small/medium keyboards safely, even a Jupiter-6 at one time. But the Post Office just destroyed a JX-10 that was boxed with lots of bubble wrap and extra cardboard inside. Guess it was just too big and bulky for them to handle. I still do think the Post Office in the US is safer than UPS where I've heard the stories of throwing things off trucks. Otherwise I'm currently trying to just sell things local.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Wed May 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Was it insured? I was able to get the USPS insurance to pay for a Matrix 1000 when they trashed it. It's possible UPS would cover up to $100 or so without insurance. Worth inquiring.

EVERY shipping carrier breaks synths, but UPS ground is the worst of them IMO.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 am

Word of mouth!
I REFUSE to use UPS ever again and take every chance I can get to tell others not to use their service. Every time I've used or have been at the receiving end of somebody using UPS I've had problems and headaches - whether it be smashed packages, lost items or the always exorbitant brokerage fees (never had a problem with USPS or fed-ex) for crossing the border into Canada.
Don't get me started about the customer service when things have gone wrong...

themilford

Post by themilford » Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Sorry I never followed up on this.

The sender used his local UPS store to ship the keyboard... eventually after much back and forth and much documentation from us the sender and receiver, the UPS store eventually cut me a check for $75 to cover "damages"

Anyway, I got the electronics up and running by reseating the chips, rebooting (hold "store" on power-up) and reloaded the factory patches... then calibrated... seems to be working fine now via midi in.

I have the keybed disassembled for cleaning and plan to piece the top C key back together with CA glue until I can find a replacement.

I'll be making walnut end-caps which will look nicer than the originals anyway. Not sure if I should copy the shape of the originals or just make simple cheeks that look more like the OB stuff.

This thing sounds pretty good... just a bummer to program.

themilford

Post by themilford » Mon May 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Working on end-block/cheeks for my Matrix 6...

I went with simple instead of copying the shape of the plastic ones... that would be silly since I sorta feel like the should have looked like this in the first place. still need to fix the keys and clean the s**t out of this thing... it's been in the shop for a while collecting dust.

Makes it look more "OB" doncha think?

These cheeks are made from ipê wood. It's a bit heavy but it'll look fantastic and hold up to abuse.

Cheers,
D

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue May 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Looking good so far!

themilford

Post by themilford » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

FINALLY DONE!

Made Ipe wood end-blocks as well as refurbed some replacements I came across. works like a champ.
Had to completely rebuild lever box... replaced battery, reinstalled software/programs, etc.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Nice work. Let's hope you like the thing now..! I had a 6R for a while, and although it sounded good I didn't enjoy programming it - I often wondered if the keyboard version would be easier with the parameters clearly displayed on the panel. I know I could just have printed off a parameter sheet, but the ergonomics are different.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Definitely looking more in keeping with the Xpander/Matrix-12 aesthetics! Very cool looking.