UK voltage converter for USA Arp Odyssey. Which one?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Dubby_Wubby

UK voltage converter for USA Arp Odyssey. Which one?

Post by Dubby_Wubby » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Hi. I'm in the UK and recently picked up a USA (110V) Arp Odyssey. I'm just wondering what voltage converter would be sufficient.

I was initailly going to buy a 300W UK to USA Voltage Convertor like this (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265288) for about £44 just to be on the safe side. But I recently saw someone over at electro.music.com who was based in Spain (virtually the same voltage to the UK) selling a USA Arp Odyssey and he had been using only a 100w adapter, as that was part of the sale.

I can pick up a 100w voltage converter (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31899) for a lot less than I could a 300w adapter.

Would a UK to USA 100w voltage converter be sufficient for powering a mkII Arp Odyssey?

Thanks

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: UK voltage converter for USA Arp Odyssey. Which one?

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:19 pm

The 100W would be fine. Most synths of that type will be 25W or less, that kind of ballpark. There is a 45W convertor but it's total shite, annd I would rather plug my face into a bar fire than buy another of those. Well, maybe not, but my point is made. I've had three of the 45W ones and they have a tendency to fail even on low-power gear. Also they're not earthed. The 100W is more stable, quieter, and is earthed. Get one, and at that price, buy a spare for when you need another.

Dubby_Wubby

Post by Dubby_Wubby » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Cheers mate. 100w converter it is then.

Ooh yeah one more thing. Are these voltage converters safe to plug into multitaps. I only have two plugs in my room and all my gear is running off powersurge 8 way multitap. Would it be ok to plug the converter into it?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:00 pm

Yes. I have four 10-way towers plugged into 2 outlets and never had any trouble. Most things are fairly low power, and really only a computer, mixer, amp/powered speakers will take any oomph. If you're running things like a couple of synths, drum machine, that kind of thing, you should be fine. A standard UK wall outlet is meant to provide 13A I think - or 3kW. That's a lot of Watts. Don't plug a kettle in as well though. ;-)

If you want to be sure, add up the Watt rating of you gear. The manuals usually state it somewhere. If you don't find a rating in Watts, you can work it out by using the current rating and voltage: Watts = Volts * Amps. a 9V pedal drawing 20mA is a fifth of a Watt, if I've got my maths right.

Just because you have something plugged in doesn't mean you have to turn it on every time - I never have all my gear switched on at once. Another thing you might want to do is stagger the switch-on so you don't create spikes. Switch on at the wall first, then go through each piece of gear in turn.

Dubby_Wubby

Post by Dubby_Wubby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Hi Nathan.

Well its an 8 way surge protector, but I'm plugging a mixer that I just acquired into it. The mixer is a Soundcraft SX 20 input mixer. I've looked in the manual but can't find a power rating.

So I'll be plugging in a mixer, MFB522, Virus TI 61 note keyboard, X0xb0x, a couple of halogen lights and my Odyssey (which just got deliver today :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ). Do you think all that that will be safe and will the voltage converter for the Odyssey be safe to run off that multiplug?

Cheers.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Check the Soundcraft's power supply. The label should state power requirements. Same for the halogen lamps. No idea what they might use. I would imagine it will be well within the limits of your 8-way to plug all that in. The 100W convertor won't be using 100W of power - only what the ARP requires.

Basically, don't worry about it. I currently have 45 bits of gear wired up, and haven't fried the local substation yet.