Casio CZ-1000/101 memory battery mod?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio CZ-1000/101 memory battery mod?

Postby pricklyrobot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:16 am

Had a page bookmarked that detailed this, but the site has disappeared since the last time I looked at it.

Basically it's just hooking up 4 AA cells, instead of 6 D's, to retain the CZ's 16 user memories, without providing enough power to run the synth (when it's not plugged in). I can wire it up with a 9V battery clip and accompanying AA-holder no problem, but I think there's supposed to be a diode in there somewhere, to prevent AC power from flowing into the batteries when the synth is plugging in and powered on.

I'm guessing the diode should be on the negative-terminal/black-wire side, but I tend to second guess where my limited electrical knowledge is concerned ;) . Can anyone confirm, or correct?
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Casio CZ-1000/101 memory battery mod?

Postby CZ Rider » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Shouldn't need a doide, as you are just putting a 6 volt supply (4 AA cells) in the same place as the original 9 volt supply (6 D cells). So any reverse voltage protection should be there already. The CZ-101/1000's have a voltage detect circuit that keeps the CZ from running at a threshhold somewhere below 7 volts. The old published mod was to use a small 9 volt cell, it worked, but if you forgot to power down or removed the AC adapter, the 9 volt battery would not last very long, as the CZ would draw power from it. The mod with the 6 volt supply removes the ability of the CZ to try and run off the battery backup, it should just turn off when the adapter is removed or unplugged. Should last for at least 9 months, probably longer if you get lithium AA batteries.
I stuffed some foam in the compartment the length of about 5 D cells, so the new smaller 4 AA pack would fit snug just behind the battery door. I got tired of replacing those expensive D cells that only lasted about 5 hours anyway. Never had a problem with loosing patches or having to initalize my CZ's since doing the mod, so it works!
CZ Rider

Postby pricklyrobot » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:10 am

CZ Rider wrote:Shouldn't need a doide, as you are just putting a 6 volt supply (4 AA cells) in the same place as the original 9 volt supply (6 D cells). So any reverse voltage protection should be there already.
Right, that makes sense (just thought I remembered a diode being in there when I first read about this). Thanks.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby bop_gun » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Hey, reviving this thread just to ask about how you make the hookup from the AA battery pack to the contacts on the synth. I've ordered the battery holder, but I don't want to screw up my CZ trying to wire it incorrectly.

Thanks!
bop_gun

Postby Cecil Dubreque » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:25 am

I've recently installed this mod on my CZ-101 and it seemed to work initially however after perhaps 2 weeks the unit again lost its memory.

Does the AC adapter need to be unplugged from the unit when not in use for this mod to work? I couldn't work out why that should be the case but if that is what it takes I will put up with the minor inconvenience.

I'll test this theory myself but if anyone knows either way I would be interested to know.
Cecil Dubreque

Postby granto » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:38 pm

How did this work out for you? And how did you end up hooking up the battery pack, just by taking over the D-battery leads? Thank you!

Cecil Dubreque wrote:I've recently installed this mod on my CZ-101 and it seemed to work initially however after perhaps 2 weeks the unit again lost its memory.

Does the AC adapter need to be unplugged from the unit when not in use for this mod to work? I couldn't work out why that should be the case but if that is what it takes I will put up with the minor inconvenience.

I'll test this theory myself but if anyone knows either way I would be interested to know.
granto

Postby Cecil Dubreque » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:22 am

granto wrote:How did this work out for you? And how did you end up hooking up the battery pack, just by taking over the D-battery leads? Thank you!

In short it didn't work, I never could work out why but it didn't work.

I have found a solution however.

http://www.artefacts.nl/Products.html

It isn't as cheap as the AA trick but this mod has actually worked for me for months now.

It isn't the most difficult install in the world in theory but in a very tight case it isn't as straight forward as you would hope.
Cecil Dubreque

Postby granto » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Interesting, thanks a lot for the response. If anyone has success/failure with the AA mod please let me know. Maybe people were just fooled into thinking it existed for a while, then it failed? All infos appreciated.
granto

Return to HELP!