Prophet 600 programming

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
alanwilder

Prophet 600 programming

Post by alanwilder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:29 pm

hello everybody !
i am new to this forum and sinths world as well 8-) , and i would appreciate any help with my Prophet 600 !
I purchased one a few days ago , in a good shape , got its user manual , but still haven't got how to program it , dump the horrible factory sounds allocated , and finally make my own sounds " from scratch" .
I would be more than happy for any suggestion /help anybody would be so kind to give me

many , many thanks in advance :P

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Prophet 600 programming

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:47 pm

The Prophet doesn't have a "patch initialize " function like most modern synths do, so there's no way to get rid of all the factory presets aside from saving your own patches over top of them one at a time.

You can turn a preset off (just push the preset button and LED will go off) then all the knobs and switches revert to a what-you-see-is-what-you-get configuration. That may be the best way for you to build up your patches from scratch.

P.S. There's a "HELP!" section of the forum specifically for questions like this.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:55 pm

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:08 pm

hello folks ! thanks so much for the prompt reply :) !!!!!! ....
actually i DID turn off the " preset " button , and tried to make new sounds : all i got is just a punchy , brief brass-like awful sound that doesn't change much by tweaking knowbs and switches : amazing :evil:
futhermore , the keyb " goes monophonic " , like i can press a key at a time . :oops:
I have carefully read the manual , but actually didnt find an answer ..... i am not sure i am doing right :mrgreen: !

thanks again , looking forward to get more suggestions

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Is it still monophonic with the "Unison Track" switch turned off?

You have the manual, it should have patch sheets in the back that show you the knob and switch positions for all of the factory presets. Try to replicate some of those patches (with the preset button turned off); that should give you a good feel for programming the 600, and also help you verify that all of the controls are functioning properly.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:14 pm

thanks again mate , i hoticed that switchin "on " the unison track the synth goes poliphonic . Also carefully read the factory programs sheets and the knobs and switcehs position . Good to know ho to get the best out of these programs .
I also switched off " preset " , in order to try to get some sound from scratch : so is that the way to do some sound syinthsesis ? I ma only obtaining weird and awful sounds !!!! 8-)
I was actually thinking that it is quite limitative only working on factory sound , i am trying my best to know this machine and moulder the sound , if posible !!!! :lol:

any ideas welcome !!!!

cheers

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 am

FWIW: my approach involves: Demo'ing each preset and making simple notes, a 'star' symbolizes that I like a preset & that it may need a little but of tweaking, a '?' means that I don't know if I can work with it, but I still try. A Downward arrow means that I simply don't like it & the space is free for writing my owns sounds.

Find a patch that is close to what you want & start tweaking it.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:01 am

Sounds like you just need to learn how synthesis works

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 am

Yes folks , i am just new to sound synthesis and having been gifted a Prophet 600 wanted to try .
I have Ableton live 8 in my pc and some vst virtual synth , but that's not the same .
I wanted a real analog sound to cover Depeche Mode , who i have been hugely inspired by :twisted: :twisted:

Any fo you into Depeche Mode by any chanche ?

cheers

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:43 am

thank you ,

so , as far as i have understood, a 800 pound beast solely allow me to work with "factory sounds " ? :evil:
thank god i received it as a gift , and not spent a single penny on it , becouse it sounds quite a let down not being able to work but on preset sounds ! Some of them are fine , ok , but far away from what i have figured out an analog synth would capable of doing :cry:

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 pm

alanwilder wrote:thank you ,

so , as far as i have understood, a 800 pound beast solely allow me to work with "factory sounds " ? :evil:
thank god i received it as a gift , and not spent a single penny on it , becouse it sounds quite a let down not being able to work but on preset sounds ! Some of them are fine , ok , but far away from what i have figured out an analog synth would capable of doing :cry:
No.. you can program it, you just need to learn how to make decent sounds.. you need to understand what the knobs do not just randomly turn them

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

being new to synths i am introducing myself to some "sound synthesis " theory , instead of randomly tweaking knobs , for sure . Each of them has a specific funcion in sound mouldering , and i am here to learn from anybody willing to share something with me !

thanks again for the support , hope not to bother you people with my silly question !

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:59 pm

I suggest you visit Sound on Sound's website and look up the "Synth Secrets" series - reading these while working with the P600 will help you along immensely.

BTW - no offense (and I'm not sure English is your native language) but a bit careful typing and some grammar and spelling checking/knowledge will help others in understanding you a little bit better.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

alanwilder

Post by alanwilder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:54 am

:D thanks guys !

sorry for messing with English Grammar Rules , i am italian and i will definitely pay more attention to what i type next posts ! No offence taken ! :lol: I lived in London for two years only , so .....that's the best i can do !

thanks again mates !!!!

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, μWave (x2), Roland JP6+V-Synth+S-220, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3+K-3m, ARP Odyssey+Omni2, Emulator II+HD, Ensoniq Mirage.

Post by calyx93 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 pm

alanwilder wrote::D thanks guys !

sorry for messing with English Grammar Rules , i am italian and i will definitely pay more attention to what i type next posts ! No offence taken ! :lol: I lived in London for two years only , so .....that's the best i can do !

thanks again mates !!!!
Hey - no worries! I felt like an idiot myself after not checking my own typing - I needed to add "of" between "bit" and "careful" - and I work in communications. :oops:

Enjoy your P600 - good luck with the programming. It's a good synth to learn with.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud