Need help linking up some hardware

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Savitar

Need help linking up some hardware

Post by Savitar » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm at a standstill right now. I've got a 909, rs-7000, and fr-777. I'd like to sync them all up through midi (using the rs-7000 as the brain unit), but whenever i get the 777 and 909 to send and receive, they never stay at the same tempo and eventually get off. ultimately, i'd like to have them all sync'd up to a consistent tempo and figure out a way to use both drums off the rs-7000 and 909 simultaneously. if anyone has any experience or suggestions with this, please let me know!

thanks <3

kyodai

Re: Need help linking up some hardware

Post by kyodai » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Are you daisy chaining them at the moment or are you using a MIDI patch-bay or splitter?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 pm

the 909 & 777 should BOTH be receiving if you want the RS to be the "brain." sure you have everything in the right mode? (& on different channels if you just want them in sync for start/stop/tempo)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:55 pm

The RS needs to send MIDI clock, and the other two need to have their MIDI clock set to EXT or SYNC (i.e. external clock). RFM?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 am

Utility mode midi setup screen Midi sync set to Internal Midi clock out to Midi A+B on RS7000 (see page 260 of manual). Don't know the other gear enough but yeah they need midi ins and have their clocks set to sync to external. The 909 worries me a bit if its a tr909 as I've heard its midi is pretty basic, if it is an mc909 and the 777 than I would think they should be capable of syncing with no probs. You shouldn't have to midi chain them since the RS has two midi outs.They should start and stop with the RS's start stop, but some machines behave a little strangely if you don't always rewind to beginning of pattern or song before starting each time, but they should stay tempo synced this way. If you don't have a mixer, you'll either have to daisy chain the analog outs on the other gear in to the RS's analog inputs, or use left & right as monos and in the RS's Setup #6 A/D setup put the mono/Stereo setting to MonoX2. You can then also add RS's effect blocks and master effects to them as well this way. Sounds like it'd be a killer setup if you get them all working together.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Savitar

Post by Savitar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Awesome! I'm gonna go fiddle with them later. I bought them all in fairly close succession, so I haven't had the time to really fool with them as a trio. I'll let you know how it goes :D

<3

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:05 pm

Zamise wrote:Utility mode midi...
Hey, that's a really good explanation!