Roland RS-202 Attack and Sustaining issues.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Roland RS-202 Attack and Sustaining issues.

Post by synth3tik » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:02 am

Hello all,
Over the past few months I have had my RS-202 loaned out to a friend and his band. The board has gotten more use from them then in the 6 or so years that I have owned it.

Today I went over to the band's practice space to check out issues with the attack. There is a distinct percussive click when the key is first struck, much like on an electric organ. This makes a little sense considering sting machines and electric organs are pretty much the same. I opened up the board, cleared off all dust, grit and such. I also using a contact cleaning pen cleaned the contacts on the front panel and any other contacts, and solder joints that looked a little dingy. The board was remarkably clean considering it's age.

Once the board was back together the attack issue seemed to be resolved partially, the lower register still is suffering from the attack issue periodically. However another problem became apparent. There now seems to be sustain issues. What is odd is that the more notes that are played the less of an issue the sustain becomes. It is sounding like the sustain is a crescendo of notes going into the upper register. This started getting me worried that is was the Tone Generator board. All components look to be in excellent condition. All solder joints were solid with no corrosion.

I was hoping someone might have some ideas on what the issue may be, and how to resolve it. Besides for these issues the board is functioning absolutely wonderfully. Also the only work previously done on it seems to be the disconnection of the Low output. I don't know why this was done, but it does not appear to be part of the present issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The band has a show coming up this Saturday, so any intense work would have to be done after that, but I doubt it is a massive problem.

Thanks in advance,
E.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Re: Roland RS-202 Attack and Sustaining issues.

Post by synth3tik » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 am

I should add the the sustain on the front panel is still functioning correctly. The sustain issue is happening before the control panel, although with the sustain all the way down it is still noticeable.