New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Mr. DiSco

New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

Post by Mr. DiSco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:19 am

Does anybody has information on what synths were used on this CD and during the live tour that goes with it by Mick Macneil?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84)

Post by Solderman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 am

I found this post in less than 1 minute with the search. Try it, you'll like it. :D

Good album, btw. It's one of those that doesn't really have a standout, but works well as a whole. The vinyl is gold swirl too. Looks cool on the turntable.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Yes, I tried, well thanks a lot.

To me it's one of the best albums, I agree with you said, I own both vinyl and CD. Mick Macneil is what i am trying to play like in the moment, he, Derek Forbes and Jim Kerr are gods (I also play bass guitar and sing).

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Mick was using the same keyboards on the New Gold Dream tour as on the album:

Roland Jupiter-8 (he added this one to his setup a few months before the album was recorded).
Roland Jupiter 4 (features heavily on "Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call").
Oberheim OB-Xa (Mick aquired this synth just after they'd recorded "Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call"
back in the summer of '81 but afaik he didn't record with it until NGD).
Korg 770 (used a lot over their first three albums, not so much after that)

Later on he replaced the OB-Xa with an OB-8 and added a DX-7, Emulator II and a Kurzweil K250.

* Mick used (Mekette's Steve Hillages girl friend from Gong) OB-X on occasion, that inspired him
to buy the OB-Xa.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Thank you, I Think I am going to be searching for a good emulation of the OB-Xa for the moment and after that go further with the JP's