Arp Odyssey note/key error

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Sorcerio

Arp Odyssey note/key error

Post by Sorcerio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 am

Hello VSEers! Long time no see!

I have a (hopefully minor) problem with my Odyssey Mk2 2810. There is something keeping it from staying on the proper scale D#3 and lower in the Logic piano roll. D#3 and D3 both play D#3 and then the scale picks back up as normal all the rest of the way down. Normal except for the fact that it is all one note off. I wonder if it has something to do with the key rods and tines inside the keyboard. I used to have an Axxe that would play only one note for every key, but I opened it up and found that one of the metal tines was stuck under the rod. Sorry for poor terminology, but I'm no technician.... Anyway the Odyssey's physical keyboard is exhibiting a very similar behavior. Here I have a video to help illustrate what I'm likely failing to explain in writing. The D#3 and D3 notes are repeated a few times for emphasis on where the issue lies.

Some more info about the setup. Logic 9 is running midi out to an Emagic AMT8 and from that into a Kenton Pro-2000 MkII then cv & gate to the Odyssey.

The Kenton settings for the Odyssey are:
CvA Synth Chan A Receive Chan: 3
CvA Note Priority: Newest Notes
CvA Trigger Mode: Multi Trigger
CvA Transpose Semitones: 0
CvA Pitchbend Semitones: 2
CvA Portamento Rate: 98
CvA Pmnto Cntrlr: 65 Portamento Ped
CvA LFO Dpth Ctl 1: Mod Wheel
CvA LFO Dpth Amt at Cntl Max: 64
CvA LFO Assign: Use LFO #1
CvA Gate Select: Gate 5V pullup
CvA Fine Tune Amount: 0
CvA Scale Amount: 0
CvA CV/HZ Select: Volt/oct Scaling

What oh what might be causing this issue?

schmidtc

Re: Arp Odyssey note/key error

Post by schmidtc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:10 pm

This isn't a common odyssey problem. If the problem was with the keyboard alone it might be caused by a sort in 2 of the bus bar resistors. Since it happens both from the keyboard and external CV, that's something truly weird. When did the problem start? For simplicity in troubleshooting just play the keys and don't add the complexity of midi to CV. If it doesn't increase in pitch moving up the keys, without VCO modulation, you should take it to someone who knows electronics. Good luck.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Also use a 15V gate.

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm

Good to know about the 15V. Thank you for that.

I would love to take it in for a reconditioning/overhaul/repairs, but I'm really strapped for cash at the moment and I need to get some recording done. Hmm I don't remember it being this way a few years ago when I used to sequence it with an Atari and the same Kenton. It's been gently moved and stored for a couple of years since then. I might try, as a work-around, limiting the key scale to begin at C4 and transposing it down.

The keyboard is and has always been practically unplayable with what I've always called afterglitch. If you hold down a key and move your finger a little or vary the pressure the sound would bounce back and forth between a crunchy modulated effect and the intended patch sound. But that was never much of a problem since I got the Kenton.

Weird weird weird.

Do you see a problem with disconnecting the keyboard multi connector and using the Odyssey as a sound module only? Would it harm the synth or disrupt its functioning (other than keyboard playing) to turn it on and trigger it with cv/gate without the keyboard connected in circuit?