Notes on Keyboard out of tune?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
TheSauce

Notes on Keyboard out of tune?

Post by TheSauce » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:47 am

Hello all,

I just acquired a Roland JV-90, and was wondering if anyone could help with my question. It seems that the black C#/Db keys are out of tune. They are a little more flat than they should be, and I am sure of it. The strange thing is that it is only those notes, and I think it's only on the upper half of the keyboard, though I could be wrong.

Could anyone please tell me what might be wrong with the synth, if it is fixable, and how complicated or expensive it might be? I really would appreciate any help. It is a spectacular synth with so much stuff on it. I don't use that particular note too much right now, but it'd be nice if I could just get those keys in tune and not have to worry about it.

Thanks very much to anyone who can help!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Notes on Keyboard out of tune?

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 am

First,welcome to upr werid, wired world !

Scanned the manual online and did not see any mention of alternate tunings. Somebody else here more framiliar with this unit?

Is it possible that this JV-90 came with Arabic tuning?

Try a reset: Power OFF, HOLD #16 in the PATCH area and power ON.

It would be crazy rare to have the units computer fail in such a way as to detune one note, yet still function correctly in all other areas.

Roland sells synths the world over...so being set to/with Eastern-type tuning is something to consider. Maybe call Rolands customer support line.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

TheSauce

Post by TheSauce » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:56 am

Hello, thank you very much for the welcome and for your response! So do certain Eastern tunings purposely detune single notes? Because the keys in question aren't detuned a half step or something like that, they are out of tune in the way that a piano's keys would be slightly out of tune. They are very slightly flat. When played with the other keys they just sound off, and kind of ugly. And it is only the C# black keys. Do you think it could happen from the keyboard having been moved around during transportation? All the other keys sound normal.

Also, do you know if that reset option you suggested will erase any custom patches? Thank you very much. Hopefully I can find a solution to this.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm

There is a "scale tune" function on the JV-90 that lets you tune/detune individual notes. It's under the menu you get when you press the Tune button.

Pages 38-40 of the manual mentions this. You can turn scale tuning off for the entire synth so you don't have to reset the tuning of each individual note (you can tune each of the 12 notes in an octave--it then affects the tuning of that note in all octaves). I'm betting the scale tune for C# on yours was set flat, so if you set it back to 0 or turn off scale tuning completely, you should be back in tune.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks, Synthaholic, I missed that manual entry.

And YES, a RESET WILL DELETE all the user patches...SAVE them first.

Not an expert, but IMHO many newer synths have provisions for Arabic(style) tuning. Most involve re-tuning one or more steps by a quarter-tone. The therory is beyond me, but - like the Western tempered tuning - are a compromise to avoid the need for a custom key-board arrangement.
- Confucius

TheSauce

Post by TheSauce » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:49 pm

This is the best synth forum ever. I will look into the manual for that setting. If it fixes it then for once I'll have a fully functioning awesome synth. Thank you both very much for all the info, very appreciated!

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:27 pm

TheSauce wrote:This is the best synth forum ever. I
You're a fast learner ! (lol)
- Confucius