Vibrating Pro One

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Vibrating Pro One

Post by rhino » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:58 pm

I have a Jeep CJ7. When it's powered up, I feel a terrific constant vibration. They say this IS normal. :lol:
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:44 am

If it's working properly, it's just the electrical current.
bonne chance

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 am

Transformers can vibrate at the mains frequency (50 or 60 Hertz depending on what country you're in). And on most Pro-Ones the transformer is bolted to the chassis. As a result, if the transformer vibrates, the chassis can pick up the vibrations.

You could try clamping the transformer plates in a vice or put a rubber cushion between the transformer and the chassis to quiet it down.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:36 pm

madtheory wrote:I've fixed a few vibrating transformers by squeezing the metal casing with my bench vice.
Dude, if you were a chick, this would have all kinds of sexy innuendo for me to m*******e to.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Where can I get one of these vibrating synths from?

Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Sorcerio

Post by Sorcerio » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks all! Yeah I realized I should have stuck this in the help section, but the synth is functioning beautifully so I was asking more as a curiosity.

If this is the transformer, is it an indication of it going bad? Shouldn't be too hard to swap out for a new one, that is if I can even find the right kind to buy.

For now it's not really bothering me much and it's not getting abnormally warm or anything, so I'll just keep playing and keep in mind the transformer.

Thanks again :D

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:52 pm

tallowwaters wrote:
madtheory wrote:I've fixed a few vibrating transformers by squeezing the metal casing with my bench vice.
Dude, if you were a chick, this would have all kinds of sexy innuendo for me to m*******e to.
That's good to know.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Sorcerio wrote: If this is the transformer, is it an indication of it going bad? Shouldn't be too hard to swap out for a new one, that is if I can even find the right kind to buy.
A lot of times, when they start doing that, it's because the transformer's core has either broken loose from its mounting or has cracked. Either way, the transformer's got one foot out the door. It may keep working for a while, but now would be a good time to start looking for a replacement.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Or it could be just the clamp that bolts it to the board has gone through so many expansions and contractions that the core is free to vibrate. So you should clamp it before the glue in the laminates starts to come apart.