Please help with Yamaha CS-30!!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Danidc17

Please help with Yamaha CS-30!!

Post by Danidc17 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi everyone!!
I have a Yamaha CS-30 and I would like to use it as a normal piano, could anyone tell me how to set it up so it works with an amplifier?? I've tried everything and I only want it to sound like a piano! I don't want any effects or anything like that, just the basic set up for it to sound. Please help!
Thank you!
Daniel

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Please help with Yamaha CS-30!!

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm guessing you're serious and are just new to synths, but you won't be getting anything remotely like a believable piano sound out of a CS-30.

The CS-30 is an analog synthesiser, meaning it does synthetic sounds well, and acoustic emulations not so well. Oh and it's monophonc, meaning you can only play one note at a time, as opposed to a real piano which is fully polyphonic, meaning you can play all the notes at once.

If you're looking for a quality straight up piano sound try;

Nord Stage
Roland Fantom
Roland RD-700
Yamaha Motif
Korg M3

etc, etc the list goes on.

I suggest you read more about what you have, and what it can do here;

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs30.php

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:42 pm

Hello and welcome to the board.

Are you sure about the make and model number? Does it look like this? Image

If so , you are out of luck (in a way). The Yamaha CS-30 is a monophonic synthesizer - that is, it can play only one note at a time. The good news is that it is somewhat popular, so you might be able to sell it for enough to buy a good used digital piano - if that's what you need.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 pm

rhino wrote:Hello and welcome to the board.

Are you sure about the make and model number? Does it look like this? Image

If so , you are out of luck (in a way). The Yamaha CS-30 is a monophonic synthesizer - that is, it can play only one note at a time. The good news is that it is somewhat popular, so you might be able to sell it for enough to buy a good used digital piano - if that's what you need.

I didn't see the pic so I reposted one.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:31 pm

And should you ever decide you want a really nice piano sound, get a good Midi controller keyboard, such as a Kurzweil PC2X, and be sure to have a computer with a fast hard drive, a sound card and Midi interface, then get Synthogy Ivory Grand.

The CS-30 is a great synthesizer, btw. Very underrated and quite flexible.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Danidc17

Post by Danidc17 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:43 pm

Yes I was serious and thats the one... and oh s**t I can't play it as I want haha.
Anyway thank you very much!! I've got others, so I'll look at the models and ask you so you can tell me which one I can play like a piano.
Thanks again!!
Daniel

Danidc17

Post by Danidc17 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:14 pm

P.D: now that I've raised the question, could anyone tell me the basic settings for making the keyboard sound? I've followed the manual, but still can't make it sound.
Thank you!!
Daniel

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Be sure VCA has EG Depth up(fully clockwise), you have at least one VCO turned up in either Mixer, and at least one VCF cut off freq set somewhere above minimum.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:53 am

You plug the output on the back into any amplifier and hmmm.. There are settings that would cause you to hear no sound. Especially on a Cs-30 as their are lots of switches that could cause it to not be heard. You need the envelopes set correctly and everything routed to the correct output.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:58 pm

When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Danidc17

Post by Danidc17 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 pm

Ok!! I'll try it as soon as I can. Thank you!!

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:40 pm

If all you want is piano sounds, why not look into the Yamaha DGX models and the Korg SP-250? Straight up piano sounds and few if any synthesizer fiddly bits. Or, if you'd like another CS that has great piano sound, get a CS2x, if you don't need an 88-keyboard. There are four on eBay right now, two for about $200. You already have a bang-on synthesizer in that CS-30. Wish I had one of those. Nice. Lots of knobs. Must... twiddle... ahhhhhhhh....

Too bad that the five (!) that are currently for sale on eBay are all in Japan with mind-numbing US shipping charges. Among them is a CS-30L, which appears to be the flat model as opposed to the raised control panel model. I think I'll stick with the Russian models if I want a legacy analog. They seem less prone to failure, having been built to MilSpec (that's military specification hardiness.)

But, now that I have listened to the CS-30 in YouTube, I want one. I like that sound. It's like... tight... and sloppy at the same time. I've never heard anything quite like it. It's looser than the Moog (which sounds kind of cranked up and manic, like a sphincter dipped in alum) but more disciplined than the ARP, which sounds like it's been hitting the bong between sets. I'll assume the CS-30L is only different in the flat rather than raised case (L for Laid-back? Do Japanese engineers even have that sense of humor?) Yes, I really do want a CS-30 or a CS-30L. If you ever want to sell yours, drop me a line. Not right now, though, I'm vying for an UltraProteus, and I still have to get a new main board for my K5000W. Not to mention all those replacement display back lights, and the SDD-2000 that won't delay. Crikey! I've got my work cut out for me!
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.