Source for AX60 Factory Sounds?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Source for AX60 Factory Sounds?

Postby smoothcriminal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 am

I'm looking into restoring the factory soundset on my AX60. The only set I've found is here which isn't the originals. Does anyone have access to the original patches for this synth?
smoothcriminal

Re: Source for AX60 Factory Sounds?

Postby EmptySet » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:58 am

pm'd
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Postby smoothcriminal » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks! I'll post an update when I get a chance to test it.
smoothcriminal

Postby themilford » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:38 pm

How did this work out for you?

Can I get a set?
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Postby Altitude » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:30 am

Its a wav file that you play back directly hooked up to the AX. I had it, cant find it :( worked fine though, the trick is getting the levels right...
Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby themilford » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

This still available? Can somebody post it or send it to me?
themilford

Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.

Postby Rasputin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:04 am

MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... 3BIeFdwZDQ
WAV: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... mFEbFBVa2s

I'm 90% sure the MP3 is verified working. I'm unsure about the WAV.

Edit: Just decoded the WAV version and it looks corrupt toward the last couple patches. The MP3 version looks like all the patches are intact, yet the patch info is markedly different from the WAV version, so I'm unsure if one, both, or neither are actually the real factory set.

If anyone can verify them and report back here that would be appreciated. After all, I took the time to track these down, host them, and post them, so it's not much to ask. This site needs more people to "pay it forward" if we want to keep our old audio gear thriving, or even alive at all. :)

<rant>
This thread is seven years old and no one took the time to publicly post these? Apparently multiple people had them and yet... still ghosted. I really wish people were more forthcoming with this stuff and would host and rehost, pass it along, document, and keep the torches burning instead of hitting-and-quitting. :evil:
</rant>

@themilford
P.S. Incidentally, I'm working on an encoder/decoder for the tape out of the Akai AX60. Once I think I have it working I'll post it and maybe you can verify it on your end. It will allow for patch archiving and editing without custom firmware--should anyone develop an editor for it. Judging by the response to the tape decoder for the AX80 though, that may never happen.

Edit: I'm pretty sure I have it working now, but I need to figure out the actual patch format. I can also decode AX73 tape dumps, but I need to figure out the patch format of that as well.
Rasputin

Postby themilford » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Rasputin wrote:MP3: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... 3BIeFdwZDQ

<rant>
This thread is seven years old and no one took the time to publicly post these? Apparently multiple people had them and yet... still ghosted.
@themilford
P.S. Incidentally, I'm working on an encoder/decoder for the tape out of the Akai AX60. Once I think I have it working I'll post it and maybe you can verify it on your end. It will allow for patch archiving and editing without custom firmware--should anyone develop an editor for it. Judging by the response to the tape decoder for the AX80 though, that may never happen.

You rule! thanks. I'm going through some minor related issues with my AX60 right now. I recorded my patches via tape out into an iRig Pro/iPhone (which I've done many times successfully with my Oberheim gear) and was not able to verify them going back in. I tired about 30 different gain settings and playback volumes and was not able to get it to respond to incoming data that I had recorded.

Interestingly I was able to find this:
https://soundcloud.com/synthmans/ax60

My recording of my patch data sounds different. the pitch is different. I wonder if my tape out tone is in need of calibration or repair. This data worked perfectly into the tape input and I have these "factory" patches up and running.

My AX60 is working 95% as it should, with some weird quirks here and there. I feel like we should start a specific thread to address AX60 repair and calibration. FWIW: I've replaced the power supply transistors, regulators and most of the larger electrolytics in the power supply just as a matter of maintenance... the voltages were identical after the work :roll:

Also FWIW:
I also swapped the OS from v1.0 to v1.2. performance seems identical but I need to test some of the midi functionality to fully test.
Last edited by themilford on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
themilford

Postby themilford » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:29 pm

One more thing:

There has to be folks with factory cassettes out there... with more service notes documentation. People are either lazy or selfish, or both.
themilford

Postby Rasputin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:17 pm

What do you need for technical information that is missing from the Service Notes? They're not horrible, but they are missing some key information, for sure.

I can tell you what the pitches are supposed to be on the AX60, and I can probably also decode your tape dumps, even if they aren't stock. Or I might be able to tell you something else -- never know.

Let me know what I can help you with.

P.S. That Soundcloud is the exact (literally) same as version as one of the two in this thread. I'd love a physical cassette from someone's attic to pop up or something. We need one more independent source.

Here's a third bundle of patches: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... jNNS0hyNUU

It seems closer in data to the WAV in my first post than the MP3 version in my first post, so I have a feeling that MP3 contains custom patches and that this tape dump and the first WAV dump are derived from the factory patches.

I don't believe we have the full, complete, unaltered factory presets yet, but I don't have conclusive proof. :(

As an additional bonus... custom patches by some guy that used to have a little site for the AX60 and used to post here named The Architecture:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5VDu ... WFHSEpxNGc
Rasputin

Postby themilford » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:46 am

Well for starters the Service manual that is available online is almost illegible. I need to check voltages and they don't really give you much in the calibration procedure portion... and the voltages on the schematic are impossible to read
themilford

Postby spaceistoodeep » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 am

Hey!

Just got an AX60 would love to return it to the factory presets. I don't know what the h**l I'm doing, but I'm guessing I can play that soundcloud into the tape input and it will work? Like run it out the computer from my Duet?

Hi.
spaceistoodeep

Return to HELP!