AX60 Dis-assembly Checkmate

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
smoothcriminal

AX60 Dis-assembly Checkmate

Post by smoothcriminal » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:03 am

I had a go at opening up my AX60 in order to scope out a non-functioning tactile switch on the front panel. All was going well, until I attempted to remove this circuit board. I was foiled by these odd white plastic spacers:

It seems to be glued to the upper circuit board and protruding thru a hole on the lower board.

I know its pretty vague, but I figure someone who knows their way around synth guts may have seen something like this before. Any guesses as to how I would go about separating the two boards? I don't want to risk snapping anything off.

As an aside, I cleaned out some dust and extraneous objects, some of the dust seemed to be forming little bridges between capacitors on the circuit board as if a current had been flowing between them. Now I think the synth sounds somehow subtly cleaner and less metalic - plausible or placebo effect?

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Re: AX60 Dis-assembly Checkmate

Post by Shreddie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am

It's a little hard to tell from the pictures but they just appear to be standard spacers. They usually clip to the PCB at one (or both) ends. On the lower board, you should be able to squeeze the tip (they can be quite stiff so you can use pliers if you're careful) to unclip then ease the board off leaving the spacers still attached to the upper board.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: AX60 Dis-assembly Checkmate

Post by themilford » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah, pinch the tip of the stand-off with a pair of needle-nose pliers as you pull the board down. They should snap out partially one at a time. Then you can remove the lower board... The stand-offs stay in the upper board, which is held onto the chassis with screws.