My TR-606 doesn't like batteries

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Snarecrash

My TR-606 doesn't like batteries

Post by Snarecrash » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:08 pm

I have a 606 with a missing battery door that makes all kind of crazy things when batteries are inserted but works fine with only the power supply without batteries inside.

My guess is that it has to do with a faulty connection from the battery-case to the memory that causes the 606 to act strange. Does anybody know this? What should i look for?

Snarecrash

Re: My TR-606 doesn't like batteries

Post by Snarecrash » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:50 am

Anybody? :roll:

I'm really bad in the tech stuff, therefore i won't open the 606 myself. My tech will do it, but he isn't the best tech in the world and he won't do it for free, so it would be very helpful if somebody could tell about a similar experience with his 606 before, because then we could maybe isolate the problem more easily.

It powers on when only the batteries are inside, so i guess it can't be a faulty power connection, but why is it going crazy as long as batteries are inserted, even with the power supply?

Thanks in advance!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm

My first guess is corrosion or acid residue on the battery terminals is causing intermittent conductive contact with the batteries. If that's the case, then you would have to open the 606, but the job is easy. Just scrape the non-conductive material off of the terminals with an exacto knife. There isn't much else it could be if the 606 is working with a proper power supply, such as the Boss PSA-120.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Hmm... I presume that there is a diode that prevents the battery from being back-fed by the power supply. If that diode is shorted, the power sucked off by the battery could be dragging down the power supply voltages. I'd try, with the battery out, putting a 100K resistor across the battery connector terminals in the 606. Then measure the voltage across the resistor. If it's not zero, the diode is shorted.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:20 pm

I just ordered new battery contacts from Technology Transplant and will let my tech replace them.
If this will not fix it we will check if that diode is shorted.
Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup: