dead keys esq-1

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: dead keys esq-1

Post by rhino » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:38 pm

If everything else works (and sounds) OK, my guess is that a repair should be do-able.
1. check for physical damage to the bad keys and their contacts.
A. plastic 'pusher' broken off
B. spring out of notch in pusher
2. check for corroded traces on the circuit board (under keys)
3. re-seat all cables
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 am

Auction updated with the following information:
**My hubby had a closed look and he thinks the syth may need a new internal battery since 3 of the keys aren't working and as you continue to play a couple other keys stop playing. He tried to reset the programming and looke online and that was the online ?diagnosis. When you turn it off again they play normally. Not sure. If you know Syths you can probably deal with it easily. Just wanted to let you know. I know there is heaps of interest. It looks great and worked perfectly before going into the parent's cupboard for 15 years.
If I understand properly, 3 keys are permanently dead, and others begin to go while playing (which then re-enable after powering off). How long is the life of the battery, 15 years I think I read somewhere. If it's been in cupboard for that long it would need a new battery regardless, right?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Sorry to have gotten side-tracked with the other ESQ owner.

The battery should be changed about every 5 years - at the longest. If the battery is bad, there should be a warning message on the screen at start-up. Even a dead battery should not affect the keys, just the ability to save new sounds. Starts to get complicated with other notes going dead in time, then restored after power off. If you want this thing, I make the seller let you (of have them) take it to a tech for a deeper checkup and repair estimate.

Another thought - if the seller is nearby - borrow a battery-powered toy keyboard that has MIDI in and out, connect it to the ESQ and see what happens:
ESQ plays correctly from the MIDI keyboard = dirty key contacts/loose plugs on ESQ
ESQ STILL MISSING NOTES from the MIDI keyboard = electronic problems in ESQ
MIDI keyboard receives ALL notes when played from the ESQ = electronic problems in ESQ
MIDI keyboard has the SAME dead keys/notes = (likely) key contact problems in the ESQ

25-year-old synths are bound to have some problems. Questions: Do you want THAT keyboard? Is there a good tech near to you? How much are you willing to put into diagnosis and repair?
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

drjay51

Post by drjay51 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am

Concerning the three dead keys on that used ESQ1, I would suspect that the spring contacts are broken or detached. If all the rest of the keys are working then it should be a problem with just those three keys, not the electronics, or more of the keys would not be working. It's not a big deal to open the keyboard up and reattach the springs but if the springs or the plastic parts that hold them are busted then you gotta get some parts. The only place to get parts generally is to buy a bused ESQ1 and scavenge what you need. However, you might be able to swap the parts you need from some of the working keys, so if you killed say the top three keys figuring you will miss them the least, you could be off to the races. Keep you eyes on Ebay, I see ESQ1's listed there with great regularity and they all seem to sell between $100 and $300.

As for me, I have done all I can do with my ESQ1. I disconnected it from the Roland working on the idea that midi could be adding to the problem (thanks for the suggestion). All the cleaning and tweaking I've done certainly helped and the board is playing much better than before. However I suspect a good technician will have to put it on the bench to fix whatever is left. The basic electronics all seem to be in good working order so perhaps some miscellaneous semiconductor is just a bit under spec and cant' quite keep up under all conditions. Replacing a couple of capacitors or something equally simple could be all that's needed. But I have to move on to another project so I'm done with the Ensoniq. After many years I am finally going to get after that big hulk of a Hammond that's been sitting here and get it up and running.