KORG MS-10 US TO EUROPEAN POWER?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
hateyourspecies

KORG MS-10 US TO EUROPEAN POWER?

Post by hateyourspecies » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm

hey all, long time reader, first time poster here.

so i just brought a korg ms-10 from the US back to where im living in sweden. i've looked into a couple solutions for how to power it but i have a few questions that hopefully someone here would be willing to answer for me.

so the ms-10's badge on the back reads '117v 50/60Hz 6w'. my question is if i were to use a standard 230v-110v drop down converter if that will be sufficient to power it without frying it. its a 100w converter. will this work?

thanks in advance.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: KORG MS-10 US TO EUROPEAN POWER?

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Go to your local electronics shop - one where they also repair things, not a "we sell everything and don't know what we're selling" shop - and ask for the proper converter. They'll probably have a couple to choose from.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

hateyourspecies

Post by hateyourspecies » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:06 pm

thanks for the reply, but unfortunately radio shack-esque shops are all that exist here, or at least they're all that i know of. both shops sell a 230v-110v drop down converter that are basically identical, one a 100w and one a 300w. im just concerned the 7 odd volts on the ms-10 could make for some trouble when using one of these, plus neither are too cheap (welcome to sweden).

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:42 pm

I've never known anyone to have a problem using a 100-watt convertor, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on here has (or has heard stories). It's not going to be that exacting. That said, you are using a 30-year old instrument, so no matter what you do, you're taking a crapshoot. I do know my buddy (and former bandmate) took his MS-20 to Sweden, Norway, and Finland a couple of years ago with no problems what-so-ever (using a transformer).

Is there a well-known synth tech in Sweden you can contact? If so, I'm sure they could recommend a model.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

hateyourspecies

Post by hateyourspecies » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:10 am

sent an email to an analog synth repair place in northern sweden, no word back yet though. i'll post up if/when i get a response for future reference if anyone else is in this situation. i wanna get to jamming on this thing!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 am

Cool - let us know what you find out.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 am

I think that a standard 230v-110v drop down converter will do the job. Your MS10 accept 50/60hz so this is not a problem... when you convert 220->110 with a converter with MORE than 6w... that's all.

connect the ms10 power plug to your converter... plug the converter to your socket wall.

If you want something better you can replace the MS10 internal power supply... you need to measure the voltage coming out from the power supply to know what to do.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 pm

As the plate on the MS-10 says, it's power consumption is 6W. A 100W 110V transformer would be fine for it, it leaves 94W of headroom at the transformer. It will not overload the synth.

With a 100W transformer you can plug any machine (or machines) in that have a total power consumption of less than 100W.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:00 am

BTW, most MS series synths that I have worked on have a multi-tap transformer, with the tap that is appropriate for the country of sale connected and the other two taps covered with an insulating tube and tied off. You could get a tech to check if yours has this and it could be re-configured for your local power. You would have to get a licensed tech to do it, and they would need to change the fuse also, and make sure that the power switch is correctly rated, and to change the plug.

As the synth only used 6W it is a very low current device. You could probably mod one to use batteries in fact....
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

hateyourspecies

Post by hateyourspecies » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:29 am

so i ended up reading a bit more on the horribly named "gear slutz" forum and found that using a standard 230v-110v drop down converter would be fine, so i went out and bought one today, baring the cold weather and having the flu. been in synth heaven all day. thanks all for your input, hope to post more often now.