Anyone have information on the GEM PK4900

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Anyone have information on the GEM PK4900

Post by synth3tik » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:14 am

Hey all,
I just plucked a rare GEM PK4900 off ebay. Sadly when I fired her up I found her to be DOA. This piece is so rare it seems impossible to find any information on it. I don't even really know whats wrong with it. It is totally possible that it may just need a good cleaning, or a quick re-solder, I don't know at this point.

The unit powers up, but does not produce any sound. One start up I was able to get a gush of white noise. Underneath which I could faintly hear the "Instastings" section, and I was able to manipulate the pitch with the keyboard. So from that short 20 seconds I am able to ascertain that the keyboard and output stages work. Which kind of sucks because these would have been possible easier fixes.

Anyone with information or first hand experience with a PK4900 would be awesome. This synth has quite a bit of pitiful charm.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Anyone have information on the GEM PK4900

Post by sam » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 am

Having fixed GEM organs from the same era i can give some pointers, I presume you know what your doing with a multimeter because i suggest first you check the power supply.

Check the tantalum caps for short circuit....

Unplug the gem before you dive in...
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.