Oberheim trouble!!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
planetkyle

Oberheim trouble!!

Post by planetkyle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:03 am

Hello everyone.

Just took out my Oberheim OB-Xa for the first time in a year or so and I am having problems. When I press the keys, I only get a static like tone...the longer I press the key, the static sound (with a TINY amount of osc sound) slowly increases in volume, then fades away like a bad AM radio station. Could anyone suggest a good place to start? Thanks a lot.

Kyle

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Re: Oberheim trouble!!

Post by snod_donkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:43 am

Start by reloading the factory patches as they sound like that when all patches are lost

planetkyle

Post by planetkyle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Ok.. how do I do that? Is it a cassette interface I need, or do I press a combination of buttons? Thank you!
Currently on board my Spaceship:
Roland Jupiter 8
Oberheim OBXA
Oberheim OBSX
Yamaha CS-60
Moog Source
Fender Rhodes Mark I 88 key
Korg Triton Pro
M-Audio Axiom 25

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 pm

planetkyle wrote:Ok.. how do I do that? Is it a cassette interface I need, or do I press a combination of buttons? Thank you!

You will have to get the factory patch data and that can either be loaded by the cassette player or straight from your computer as a wav file or any other media playback file. I just do mine through cubase. Load the data file as an audio file, play it back with the computer output going into the cassette input on the oberheim.

Other than that simply put the oberheim in the manual mode and then set the front panel controls to settings that "should" make a sound. Find a patch sheet to do that. This is the easiest way just to see if the synth is working ok

If no decent sound at that point then you have a problem

planetkyle

Post by planetkyle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks! I tried out the Obi in manual mode and still got nothing but static and a faint osc sound... brought it into Three Wave Music down in Hawthorne NJ. Walked into the shop and saw about 300 vintage synths... Its in good hands.. awaiting the $$ cost of repair report ..fingers crossed...
Currently on board my Spaceship:
Roland Jupiter 8
Oberheim OBXA
Oberheim OBSX
Yamaha CS-60
Moog Source
Fender Rhodes Mark I 88 key
Korg Triton Pro
M-Audio Axiom 25