Midi Thru Woes.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Midi Thru Woes.

Post by elmosexwhistle » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:00 pm

So i've been trying to chain up some devices, i've never really done midi thru before (always multitracked one synth at a time or used software and hardware together) and i need some help. i have 3 midi cables, a sound blaster one in one out midi interface on my pc, a tg33, and a dx11...i want to be able to edit tg33 patches in sound diver, and audition them as i'm going along, playing the dx11 to trigger notes so i can hear my editing results in real time.

i know midi thru passes through any information from the computer, untouched, straight to the tg33...so i hook the pc's midi out to the dx11 midi in, then it's midi thru to the tg33, the pc works fine, so i can send a patch in sound diver and they appear on the tg33, great, but the keyboard isn't working, its like i need to combine the keyboard's own midi out port and midi thru port together to create a combined signal which would allow me to trigger sounds and edit at the same time...is there any way i can wire this up and get it to work by changing around the options on the software or the hardware (i have the tg33 set to receive omni so surely it won't matter what the dx11's transmit channel is?) can i get it to work without needing to buy some kind of midi splitter cable or any other equipment? the midi in on the soundcard isn't being used in this setup example, do i route the dx11's midi out back into the pc and set a special command? maybe it's the dx11's fault for having limited midi thru options, i also have an alesis fusion, would that do the whole thing better? (the dx11 was the nearest board to hand at the time)

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Midi Thru Woes.

Post by madtheory » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:04 pm

For editing you need bidirectional communication. So for each synth you want to edit, you need a dedicated MIDI in and MIDI out on the computer. M Audio USB MIDIsport is a good option, there are 1, 2, 4 and 8 i/o versions. The 8 is discontinued and rare though.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Yeah, you need more MIDI I/O really... There are plenty of reasonably priced USB MIDI interfaces out there.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 pm

I was going to suggest a MIDI thru box, but the above posters are correct... USB-driven MIDI interfaces are cheap enough these days that there's no point in trying to kludge something up. Keep it simple and go find yourself a 2x2 or 4x4 interface. I will suggest that you try audiomidi.com.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!