Sh 201 velocity?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Sh 201 velocity?

Post by bassdude » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I have a Roland Sh 201. It's velocity sensitive. Apparently you control the sensitivity via the "level velocity" parameter in the amp envelope. Theres also a level velocity for the filter, which is cool. Both can be set positively or negatively. The problem is that both of these levels dont feel sensitive enough. When set low, the velocity for the amp (essentially volume) barely does anything. When set high or even midway up, you have to bang on the keys quite hard to reach full volume and the lows arent that low.

I know that on some boards you can set the overall sensitivity of the keys to how heavy-handed you play. Is this possible with the 201? It's hard to describe the problem im encountering. I feel that the velocity dosent respond well enough to light and medium weight playing. I do not have a heavy hand, and i find myself stressing my hands in order to get the varied dynamics i was able to get easily from my Ensoniq vfx. Is it just that the Ensoniq has a better keyboard, or do i need to mess with some other setting on my 201?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Sh 201 velocity?

Post by rhino » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Question, NOT an insult: Are you holding the CANCEL button when you adjust the LEVEL?

IMHO the SH-201 is toy-like in build quality and will come up far short when compaired to the key action of the VFX.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:23 am

The SH201 is indeed velocity sensitive, but the keyboard action is so unpredictable, that it's better too turn it off.

If you are brave enough to fiddle with the velocity curve, do like rhino said.

To adjust the amp velocity sensitivity: Hold down the CANCEL button and turn the LEVEL knob.
To adjust the cutoff velocity sensitivity: Hold down the CANCEL button and turn the CUTOFF knob.

That's Roland' "Ultra-EZ" concept, "super fun and easy to use".

And if you ever want to adjust the keyboard split point, then it's becoming "Mega-EZ": Hold down the CANCEL button and press the TAP button, then hold down the DUAL/SPLIT button, press a key, and press the CANCEL button.

(By the way none of the preset are velocity sensitive. Roland was, I think, aware that the keyboard was only velocity sensitive in theory)

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:30 am

Rhino: I was using the 201's software editor the whole time, i didnt even bother finding the shortcut for the board. But it seems like im getting the same results via software or on the board. Im pretty sure that i noticed my VFX having a Fatar keyboard when i opened it recently. Theyre supposed to be really nice, right?

Zarith: The keyboard action dosent feel unpredictable to me, just not sensitive enough. I just wish there was some way that you could set it so that you could get very low volume AND full volume without needing to hit the keys so hard to get that full volume.

To clarify: there is no overall way of setting the pressure sensitivity of the keys? I dont mean the velocity amount nessecarilly. Its hard to explain. On my Ensoniq, you can set the keys for soft, medium, or hard playing styles. It was awesome. Im assuming theres no way to do this on the 201?

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Afraid (AFAIK) there is no GLOBAL velocity sense control. Try playing the SH via MIDI from a better keyboard...or, if it can be done on the SH, turn LOCAL off and run the MIDI thru a device like the old MX-8 that has velocity expansion settings.
- Confucius

bassdude
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bassdude » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Unfortunately i cant do any of those things right now. Does anyone know how the 201 's key action compares to the Alesis Ion? Ive already been thinking about upgrading to that synth, and if the actions better i may just go for it. I just want something that will give me some range of playing dynamics without having to play so damn hard.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Try one first, but IMHO short of the Korg PolySix, it will be hard to find a WORSE feeling keyboard thean the SH-201.
- Confucius