Modular duophony + analog keyboard splitting

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
RD9

Modular duophony + analog keyboard splitting

Post by RD9 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I guess you can file this under analog modular duophony...

Pardon the noob question, but does anyone know if it's possible to split an analog keyboard such as an MS-20 or SH-2 if you connect it to an external modular system? And also, if that is programmatically possible, is it possible to play bass sounds locally and simultaneously play lead sounds (if sending cv/gate to an external modular)? I'm guessing it's probably not possible with a monophonic keyboard, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If it's not possible, does it mean the only way to play a modular duophonically is to use a polyphonic MIDI keyboard where you send on two channels (bass + lead) to separate oscillators on your modular? Can a Doepfer system do this?

theglyph

Re: Modular duophony + analog keyboard splitting

Post by theglyph » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I could be wrong but I believe the only thing available to give you what you're looking for is:

http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/polyclavier.html

If you're doing this via MIDI you'd need a keyboard which can be split to two separate MIDI channels and then somethings like this:

http://bigcitymusic.com/index.php?main_ ... ucts_id=77
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

RD9

Post by RD9 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Ugh... looks really expensive. Maybe the easiest way to do it is just use two mini monophonic keyboards side by side that send to two separate modular sets.

sqweebking
Gear: Roland, Moog, Yamaha, Korg, Novation, etc.
Band: sqweebking

Post by sqweebking » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Would it be possible to run the cv from a mono keyboard into a splitter and then put a variable resistor on one of the outputs to reduce the voltage to the desired octave? This seems like it should be possible..

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:00 am

RD9 wrote:Ugh... looks really expensive. Maybe the easiest way to do it is just use two mini monophonic keyboards side by side that send to two separate modular sets.
Yeah, this is the best way to go for what you're interested in! You can rout each keybard's CV and Gate out to the particular modular setup for bass and lead!

Considering your modular journey you need to go to:

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

Cheers,
Aaron
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:05 am

sqweebking wrote:Would it be possible to run the cv from a mono keyboard into a splitter and then put a variable resistor on one of the outputs to reduce the voltage to the desired octave? This seems like it should be possible..
You could send the keyboard CV out into a comparator and use a specific voltage point to change a voltage controlled switch. It's tricky and would require several modules but perhaps it's possible.

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:40 am

There was also an ARP "learning system" keyboard that had individual CV, gate, & trig outputs for the low and high notes. Pretty rare, but itd be just what you want.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:37 am

The Synthesizers.com modular controller is capable of duophony.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:12 pm

This is the most economical poly MIDI-to-CV device I've come across: http://www.elby-designs.com/polydac/polydac-about.htm
I think he sells them assembled as well as in kit form.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

RD9

Post by RD9 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The Synthesizers.com modular controller is capable of duophony.
Awesome, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if that's solid wood? Looks like it weighs a ton.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 pm

I can't imagine it weighing that much... probably no more than your average 49 key midi controller.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 pm

I have dabbled with Modular polyphony twice now.

My first system was an RSF Kobol rig, it had 4 Kobol Expanders, an Expander 2 and was run from a Polyclavier. This gave me a nice 4 voice system with lots of extra patching capability as well. However I was never pleased with the outcome to be honest. Obviously the main reason to play polyphonically is for chords, but it just did not sounds right at all to me and I tended to get better results form a dedicated poly.

The second time I tried this was with a 3 cabinet System 100M and 184 controller I got from Jay Kay of Jamiroquai, whilst this sounded totally different from the Kobol system in regards timbre, the basic results were the same.

I think Modular gear is best for mono lines to be honest.
You always want just one more Synth!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 pm

RD9 wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The Synthesizers.com modular controller is capable of duophony.
Awesome, thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. I wonder if that's solid wood? Looks like it weighs a ton.
It is solid wood, but it isn't heavy at all!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:08 am

I've set up an arrangement like this myself. I had a polyphonic keyboard (Roland U20 - they are very cheap now) and Kenton Pro 2000. I assigned low note priority it channel A on the Kenton, high note to Channel B - then routed the A and B CVs and gates to the modular.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 am

chamomileshark wrote:I've set up an arrangement like this myself. I had a polyphonic keyboard (Roland U20 - they are very cheap now) and Kenton Pro 2000. I assigned low note priority it channel A on the Kenton, high note to Channel B - then routed the A and B CVs and gates to the modular.
Woah, cool. Is that just a note priority hack? So you can play bass notes with the left hand and lead with the right?

I also just found this interesting Doepfer unit called the Dark Link which would allow you to connect a MIDI controller and control up to four CVs. Pretty cool, but it's not out yet I think. There's a desktop version for Dark Energy as well as a modular version A-190-3 (for the A-111-5 mini synth units). It seems that you can chain two A-111-5 modules to get a duophonic analog synth for about $1200.