hello, everybody i need some help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
nu-tellar

hello, everybody i need some help

Post by nu-tellar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:35 am

hey, what's up? vse friends. its been a while.

can anybody help me get throught this little problem that i got?. alright so i was moving my set up around to improve my workflow, and when i was connecting everything i see that my firewire bus when bad. i took it to the apple store and they check it a few times., something it work and something it did not, so the apple tech talk me that it could have been a software problem and that i can try to reinstall the os i did that and it still no work. now, the thing is they will charge me $650 almost $700 with taxes. i do no have that kind of budget and i really will like to get my computer to work.

do any of you know any tech that will check it or maybe fix this for cheaper, or maybe any work around?

i have a imac g6 2.16gh core duo 2
3gb of memory.

i also have a macbook pro which i share with my girl for any normal use which i can use but, it will no be very convinience for me since i my girl use it a lot also me for my day job. plus i also use at least three usb 1 for midi interface, another for virus ti snow which i would no use if it wasn`t for the virus control software, and other for mouse, keyboard, and some ilop.

what can i do guys since i wans`t expecting this, and don`t have the money to upgrade which is what i would like to do. i don`t even know if it is worth to expende that kind of money if i have to go the fixing route for this old computer and be right back to fixing it again no long down the route.

what can i do?

:cry:

smoothcriminal

Re: hello, everybody i need some help

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 am

Didn't you just make a thread about how you have like $10,000 worth of synths and you want to get rid of some of them? Wouldn't that help you out getting some money to fix your computer or whatever?

precarity

Post by precarity » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm

The firewire ports are on the logic [/"mother"] board, which is what it sounds like Apple wants to replace, given the $650 price. Not really anything else you can do to fix them. What firewire devices are you using? Buying a new external usb hard drive (or external hard drive case) to replace a firewire one is certainly cheaper than a new logic board.

On the off chance that you have a firewire device that can draw power from either the firewire bus or an AC adapter, does using the adapter make any difference?

(Hi everyone on this wonderful board! I've been lurking for a while and just wanted to make sure my first post was at least an attempt at contributing something helpful :mrgreen: )

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:58 am

smoothcriminal wrote:Didn't you just make a thread about how you have like $10,000 worth of synths and you want to get rid of some of them? Wouldn't that help you out getting some money to fix your computer or whatever?

yeah i just did make a post of which i have some synths of which i am having a hard time integrating in a nice a comfortable workflow in which i can work and make be comfortable with it. see man the problem is that i am no sure just yet if i want to sell anything i will like to integrate everything in a way i enjoy working with it but, i just have a hard time picking an synth sequencer and doing some music. i will just jump to one sequencer them other and no end up doing anything useful.

the other thing is that when the firewire when bad i was not trying to get rid of anything if no putting somethings away to work with just a few synths. and do some project with just a few synth to put the distraction away from me.

ex: i wanted to use just some of the synth that don`t have any sequencer for melodies and parts and just one drum machine at a time instead of having everything plug which just cost me to jump from want another.

you see thats what i was trying to do and my computer when bad the thing that sucks is that i was not expecting that and i would rather upgrade the computer than, expending that much to fix it now is getting old... but, i don`t have any money to upgrade it.

i will probably just work with midi with my hardware sequencer till i can justify to buy a mac pro., i can also record to my regular mac pro to mix if it need to be done once i have work on the songs.
precarity wrote:

The firewire ports are on the logic [/"mother"] board, which is what it sounds like Apple wants to replace, given the $650 price. Not really anything else you can do to fix them. What firewire devices are you using? Buying a new external usb hard drive (or external hard drive case) to replace a firewire one is certainly cheaper than a new logic board.
exactly what they told me man. that sucks i want to fix it but you know how is this thing with computer that now my computer is getting old and many of the new software won`t work on it. so, i am thinking it might be work just saving and getting a new one.

thanks precarity to taking the time to give me your help, and welcome to vse. smoothcriminal thank you too.