question about CV / DIY Sequencer

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
propel

question about CV / DIY Sequencer

Post by propel » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I have recently been looking into the world of DIY synths and came accross this:

http://www.synthrotek.com/2010/09/03/8- ... -full-kit/

And it got me thinking about CV inputs and all and I was wondering: would this be compatible with any synth that can use CV? Say I was to build this, could I use it with any synth with CV capabilities, or could I risk doing damage to the synth? Also, just out of curiosity, I was wondering what you guys thought about the kit; does it look legit and all.

Thanks for the help!

David

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: question about CV / DIY Sequencer

Post by space6oy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:04 am

depends on the CV format. CV/gate, Hz/V, V/octave, some info on those here:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/resources/glossary.php

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:58 am

Thanks for pointing this out, I might try it!
Last edited by Solderman on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

propel

Post by propel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for the replies, that glossary looks like essential reading and I'll dive into to it after work. :)

But, just to be on the safe side, if I was to use that sequencer with a Synth that takes CV, is there potential to damage it if I do a shody job building the sequencer? I ask beacuse it would be the first time I build one and don't want to explode some nice gear. :P

Thanks!

atkbg

Post by atkbg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm

That looks an awful lot like the baby 10
http://www.midiwall.com/gear/babyseq/

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:08 pm

atkbg wrote:That looks an awful lot like the baby 10
http://www.midiwall.com/gear/babyseq/
wow, know what that was published in?
Make it look nice, you will be glad you did when something f**k up and you have to try and troubleshoot it.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:03 am

OK, so first up, both V/Oct and Hz/V are DC. Neither of those protocols use AC voltage, they are different systems of interpreting DC, for want of a better expression. I've had wine. Forgive me a little sloppiness. As long as the sequencer ouputs a positive voltage (mabe up to 5V or more) then you can get a useful CV from it. Gate triggering is another issue, and there are three systems commonly used - positive triggering (0V is off, positive is on), short to ground (aka S-Trig, where 0V is on and positive means no short so effectively off), or Yamaha's version which is above a certain voltage for off, below another for on (I forget the values, it's sometimes compatible with S-trig, but not always, depends on the kit).

So, make sure you know the CV and the gate type. Other than that, it looks like about a simple sequencer as can be made. If you build it, they will come. Or something.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:03 am

Actually it doesn't matter if the synth is V/Oct or Hz/V for a sequencer like this, as it's not quantised anyway. You'll get a more even spread of frequencies if the pots you use match up to the scale the synth has, but either way will work fine.

There's always a chance you can make something so badly that it'll destroy a synth, like if you somehow got mains voltage on a CV output, but if you can follow basic assembly instructions you won't build it in a way that can damage the synth. CV inputs are usually pretty hardy.

propel

Post by propel » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Thanks Stab Frenzy, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I think I'm going to order it along with the APC on their site, fun project to keep me busy this summer :D