Korg Emx1 Help !

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
computron
Band: Computron

Korg Emx1 Help !

Post by computron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:40 am

Turned on my em1x today it powered up and the backlight screen was on but it was BLANK nothing else :cry: .Nothing plays and nothing else lights up.No lights on the sequencer keys or anything.No loose soder connections on the inside I checked and have fixed many bad points in tribes before.Any one have any guesses at what to check? I hate going to a korg service center witch would be a sam ash ion my case. I always get ripped off when I do and then half the time they dont know whats wrong yet charge me for looking.(this was before I could repair a tribe myself) This is a real set back for me.I cant loose whats inside it and its the start of everything I do on my mpc5000 and my various synths.Please help if able :?
Living the Electro Life

computron

Re: Korg Emx1 Help !

Post by computron » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Further inspection shows a white subtance over IC #7.and around the board where ic7 is seated.wipes off easy enough.anyone have a service manual or know what ic7 is? Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Living the Electro Life

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:44 am

It sounds like a blown fuse. It's a pretty common issue with the ESX and EMX 'tribes. Mine is currently out of commission for the same reason. I'm waiting on the fuse in the mail from Digikey.

The original fuses used by Korg on these machines was rated .75A. After many issues, Korg decided the machines need a 1.5A fuse. Some people have had Korg service centers replace the fuse for free, and others haven't had the same luck. If you're steady with a soldering iron and don't mind tiny surface mount components, it's totally a diy fix.

I hope this helps!

PS- You say you've fixed lots of bad solder connections on these machines. Is this related to the knob jitter problem?

computron

Post by computron » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:06 am

Silverfish wrote:It sounds like a blown fuse. It's a pretty common issue with the ESX and EMX 'tribes. Mine is currently out of commission for the same reason. I'm waiting on the fuse in the mail from Digikey.

The original fuses used by Korg on these machines was rated .75A. After many issues, Korg decided the machines need a 1.5A fuse. Some people have had Korg service centers replace the fuse for free, and others haven't had the same luck. If you're steady with a soldering iron and don't mind tiny surface mount components, it's totally a diy fix.

I hope this helps!

PS- You say you've fixed lots of bad solder connections on these machines. Is this related to the knob jitter problem?
Thanks alot For the info!!!
Further reading on it and this seems to be my issue.I am going to get the new fuse and maybe switch the tubes out for different ones(they say this sounds good) and see how it sounds and if I dont care for it I will switch them back.Thanks alot my em1x is the start of alot of my writting before I put everything in the mpc. On your question what jitter would you mean ? the one where the knobs have jittery noise or they go to far of a rate when just turning slightly? Or just jittery Loose knobs ? I have diy fixed these and other issues with my multi triibes threw the years.
Living the Electro Life

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 am

Yeah, my ESX has an issue with a few of the potentiometers. They randomly send data, or don't send data all the way to 127. I took it a certified Korg repair center, and they re-soldered all of the joints, but the bad data continues. I'm pretty much about to give up on the thing, but maybe you can tell me more from your experience.

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat May 28, 2011 3:05 am

Silverfish wrote:It sounds like a blown fuse. It's a pretty common issue with the ESX and EMX 'tribes. Mine is currently out of commission for the same reason. I'm waiting on the fuse in the mail from Digikey.

I hope this helps!

I just bypassed the fuse in my emx after it blew out today and now i get the error message "AllFl Ld Error" which i would assume means all file load error. any ideas from anyone on this? I am desperate. Trying to factory reset wouldn't work. Maybe flashing the firmware? many people on other forums have encountered this problem and at least of them has fixed it somehow but failed to provide any contact info.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 am

good sign that at least it shows something. Maybe you should try the diagnostic test, find wich buttons you have to keep pressed and at the same time turning on the EMX1, maybe that zill help to restore the system.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 pm

balma wrote:good sign that at least it shows something. Maybe you should try the diagnostic test, find wich buttons you have to keep pressed and at the same time turning on the EMX1, maybe that zill help to restore the system.
Not able to enter any test modes ):
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Sun May 29, 2011 11:35 am

sacredcow wrote: just bypassed the fuse in my emx after it blew out today
Bypassing the fuse was really a bad idea, if the power supply provides wrong voltage to the components then you might have damaged the DSP or other delicate components.
You should have measured the current before the blown fuse in order to check if it is up to specs.
Anyways here is how u get into diagnostics mode :
EMX-1 Test Mode
How to start and operate the test mode:
ERASE + PATTERN & POWER ON: Internal test,
ERASE + STEP EDIT & POWER ON: Adjustment of valve circuit, L/R balance
calibration, Tube gain balance measurement
SHIFT + DRUM PART 1 & POWER ON: Internal skip
SHIFT + DRUM PART 3 & POWER ON: Audio test
16: Proceed the test
SHIFT + 15: Re-executing the test
: ITEM UP
: ITEM DOWN
>> : STEP UP
<< : STEP DOWN
NOTE:
To proceed the SmartMedia test, it is required to prepare a SmartMedia whose capacity
is more than 16MB.
It is all about sharing...

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 am

Yekuku wrote:
sacredcow wrote: just bypassed the fuse in my emx after it blew out today
Bypassing the fuse was really a bad idea, if the power supply provides wrong voltage to the components then you might have damaged the DSP or other delicate components.
You should have measured the current before the blown fuse in order to check if it is up to specs.
Anyways here is how u get into diagnostics mode :
EMX-1 Test Mode
How to start and operate the test mode:
ERASE + PATTERN & POWER ON: Internal test,
ERASE + STEP EDIT & POWER ON: Adjustment of valve circuit, L/R balance
calibration, Tube gain balance measurement
SHIFT + DRUM PART 1 & POWER ON: Internal skip
SHIFT + DRUM PART 3 & POWER ON: Audio test
16: Proceed the test
SHIFT + 15: Re-executing the test
: ITEM UP
: ITEM DOWN
>> : STEP UP
<< : STEP DOWN
NOTE:
To proceed the SmartMedia test, it is required to prepare a SmartMedia whose capacity
is more than 16MB.
Everyone on the internet says that the unit works fine with a bypassed fuse. And supposedly the allfl ld error is a fixable software problem. None of the diagnostic tests work, I've tried them all, the screen just reads allfl ld error. Before i bypassed the fuse it wouldnt read anything.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 am

sacredcow wrote: Everyone on the internet says that the unit works fine with a bypassed fuse.
.. as long as your power supply is functioning properly, but who knows? you just took the seat belt off...
Before i bypassed the fuse it wouldnt read anything.
:lol:

my suggestion is get a proper fuse in there asap since you don't seem to know what you're doing, then worry about the software issue.