What do to?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
ivanthemonkey
Gear: Virus b, Little Phatty and a Tele.
Band: My First Robot

What do to?

Post by ivanthemonkey » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey guys,

I got a defunct synth off ebay. I payed good money for it, it's a Roland JX-305. Unfortunately the main board is damaged. The repairs would cost 350€, just as much as I payed for the thing. Now, what should I do? Should I have it repaired or should I sell it for parts and buy something else?

Any help appreciated.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Re: What do to?

Post by Psy_Free » Wed May 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Have you contacted the seller ? If not, do, explaining the situation (calmly). It has probably been damaged in transit, unless the seller is a total scoundrel. If you paid by Paypal, you are fully insured against this kind of thing.

The seller will need to make a claim against the postal service/courier they used. You will most likely have to return the synth to the seller before he/she will start this process.

In any case, if you get no joy from the seller, you can raise an e-bay dispute. One way or the other you will get your money back. Don't have it repaired, or sell it for parts, or do anything to it.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Roland needs to give some kind of discount for fixing these things: I've seen a dozen JX-305s with a failed main-board. Something was not designed correctly at the factory.
Everybody with a dead one should get on Rolands case and see what they can do for us.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

ivanthemonkey

Post by ivanthemonkey » Thu May 12, 2011 8:46 am

Hey,

Ebay said it can't help me. I raised a dispute, no use. The only thing I could do is to sue the guy. Which costs also money. I'm depressed and stuck with a broken synth :cry:

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Whate date did you buy the synth on ebay? What payment method did you use? What is the ebay ref number?

ivanthemonkey

Post by ivanthemonkey » Thu May 12, 2011 2:32 pm

I bought it a month ago. payed with bank transfer.
Number is 250791451937.

The problem is that they literally can do nothing if you pay with bank transfer. Which is very, very stupid. The guy doesn't take it back, I'm screwed.

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Thu May 12, 2011 4:42 pm

ivanthemonkey wrote:I bought it a month ago. payed with bank transfer.
Number is 250791451937.

The problem is that they literally can do nothing if you pay with bank transfer. Which is very, very stupid. The guy doesn't take it back, I'm screwed.

ok.... without paying with Paypal i'm not sure there is much you can do

All i can say is ... if he did send it out working then the main board should not have an issue unless it was damaged in transit and has maybe brocken some tracks. Have alook inside (if you have not already) and make sure all the wire headers are plugged in ok. Even remove them 1 at a time and reseat them. You may find its a simple problem :|

You say the board is "damaged" but is this a physical or electrical issue?

ivanthemonkey

Post by ivanthemonkey » Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 pm

It's electrical. I sent it to roland and they said the board is damaged, 350€ to replace it.
i'm trying to get a used board.