Yamaha RY-8 Ext-In Question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Yamaha RY-8 Ext-In Question

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat May 14, 2011 7:08 pm

I just picked up an RY-8 on the cheap, and am wondering about its external-in feature. Now in the manual it says that normally a guitar would plug in to it.

Has anyone tried to plug in something other than a guitar into this box? I would be curious if it could just be used like the audio-in on the electribe ER-1, where you could simply run another piece of gear through it.
For Trade: |Ensoniq ESQ-1|Yamaha CS1-x|Alesis Micron|

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Yamaha RY-8 Ext-In Question

Post by Zamise » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 am

If its meant for guitar, be careful with hooking up other gear to it. Guitars have low level outputs and usually need boosting which the RY may be doing for its input, most synths don't need to be boosted, so if you hook something else up to it like a synth then make sure you start at a really low input level. I don't have an RY, but I do have an RS7000, there is a setting on its inputs for Line level when using synths and then an Amp level for boosting guitars and mics, your RY might have a similar setting you might want to check in to first. Amp level with another synth usually sounds kind of crappy if I turn it up to a decent level, so if its got a Line level setting for the input do try using that setting first.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Re: Yamaha RY-8 Ext-In Question

Post by xenomorph313 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:44 pm

There is a setting linked to the EXT-in called "Sensitivity". I think this would be a line level input equivalent.

Thanks
For Trade: |Ensoniq ESQ-1|Yamaha CS1-x|Alesis Micron|