Fixing Juno-60 buttons / switches

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mrosati

Fixing Juno-60 buttons / switches

Post by mrosati » Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 am

Had some issues my Juno-60

- completely dead buttons
- intermittently working buttons
- it would randomly jump into manual mode for no known reason

Turns out the Juno-60 uses rubber-dome contact swtiches ( like a miniture PolySix key ) as opposed to the un-serviceable tact switches like in the Juno-106, TB-30 etc. These ones are easy to get at for cleaning & re-seating the rubber-dome. After cleaning up the metal contact with contact cleaner and a little scraping off of the c**p, gently using an eraser on the black conductive part of the rubber-dome & make sure the rubber-dome is re-seated properly, everything is working perfectly. Also doing this to the manual button seemed to solve that random problem.

Pix here:
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/ ... 0switches/

NOTE: Do NOT use contact cleaner on the black conductive part of the rubber-dome, it would make it worse. The rubber-dome is very thin & fragile, be very gentle when cleaning / handling it's very easy to rip apart.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Fixing Juno-60 buttons / switches

Post by Solderman » Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 am

I'm currently borrowing a Juno 60 that double-triggers some keys and randomly jumps between 2 octaves when the Octave Transpose switch(at left) is in the normal position. Would you say these are likely candidates for similar cleaning treatments? Since it isn't mine, I have not attempted to examine it yet. I haven't tried DCB yet either to isolate the problem to contact faults.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed May 18, 2011 1:21 am

The 106 might have "unserviceable" tact switches, but they are replaceable with easy-to-find parts. (unlike the JX3P, which seems to be neither serviceable nor have parts available)

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 am

chipsforbrains (technology transplants) has a FEW N.O.S. JX3p switches left. About $4 each.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

mrosati

Post by mrosati » Wed May 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Got this from my synth tech:

" That Juno 60 you are borrowing could have a problem with the switch itself maybe! If the switch is anything like those photos you sent me it should be an easy fix no? If its not that, could be a dying multiplexer just guessing. Just a quick look at the sm, IC9 (40H273) on panel board b, page 16 shows that it sends transposition data to the cpu from pin 5&2. This is taking it far though, I'd suspect controls before an IC though. "